Still in pain, occaisionally peeing strange coloured urine!

Posted , 3 users are following.

5 weeks ago I first encountered the pain we all know as being a kidney stone, although I didn't know it at the time. I ended up in hospital and after a CT scan confirming it I was discharged with diclofenac and instructions to drink lots of water as it was small (3mm). Come the following Wednesday night into Thursday morning the pain had got much worse and this time I was kept in for a ureteroscopy the next day. During the procedure a stent was also put in. I wasn't given much information as to what to expect and being the time of person that I am (I have Asperger's and tend to have questions after I've had time to think things through, I found out more checking on the internet. Much of what I learnt explained some of the things I was feeling and what was happenning and so put my mind at rest. The Wednesday after the procedure I was back at work for less than an hour when I took really ill and ended up heading to hospital again. I had a urine infection and so was sent off with antibiotics. All was fine until last Tuesday when I was attemtping to get a tooth seen to when I started feeling faint and in pain in the kidney again. I'm still in quite a level of pain now with and extra painkiller. I'm now an paracetamol and tramadol 4 times a day topped up with ibuprofen at meal times 3 times a day. I'm also on tamsulosin which i was put on while in hospital for the procedure.Just wondering if I should make a call with still being in pain. I live in Scotland.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

If you have concerns,it would be wise to call the doctor. Maybe you need a stronger antibiotic . I do know that with my stones,I have many different pain encounters. I can tell if they are moving. Other times they just hurt. I would definitely get the advice of your doctor. Good luck.

• Posted

This sounds very similar to me all of last year.

When you go to hospital DO NOT BE PALMED OFF WITH ANTIBIOTICS AND SENT HOME They did this to me several times before I demanded they did a scan. Lo and behold multiple kidney stones about 27 mm in total.

Eventually a urologist in Bristol operated keyhole surgery. I am now fine.

Is there any blood in your urine?

Your stone is a lot smaller than mine so they may think you will pass it.

I had several urine infections before I was diagnosed with kidney stones.

Blood in my urine.

You have to keep on at them.

Keep going back to GP till they get fed up with you!

You do not have to put up with this. Get them to sort it once for all.

Good luck with all this.

Drink plenty of water.

Praying for you.

Do take care and keep in touch.

Sarah

• Posted

Urine sample for out of hours appointment. After about 4 pints of diluting juice and apple it shouldn't be that colour!

• Posted

Am now back in hospital. There is some concern that the stent may be irrìtatting the kidney.

• Posted

Sorry to hear this.

I had trouble with my stent they are horrible things.

A month before I had kidney operation I was in another hospital with a bad infection in my knee that had been replaced 6 years earlier.

They took a swab from it and after that for 24 hours my urine had an awful lot of blood in it.

Whether that was to do with the fact that they took a swab from my knee goodness only knows!!!!

Thanks for replying. Do keep in touch.

Sarah

• Posted

Stent is now out. I was in quite some pain after the removal and have been kept in overnight. Should be allowed home today but intend taking the next couple of days as rest to recover fully.

• Posted

This is really good news.

Do take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

I think taking these days to recover that bit more has been a good move. Best of all after the stent is returning to sleeping right through without having to get up in the middle of the night for a trip to the toilet!

Interestingly, while in hospital a letter came through with a date for the planned stent removal of 30th October! I don't think I could have made it to then. The whole experience shows that not everyone experiences these things the same way. Everything I'd seen elsewhere on the net about stent removal it looked so easy! Ha! Oh well! Everyone is different, and just because it didn't go too well for me doesn't mean it will be the same for me. Follow medical advice and hopefully things should go as smoothly as possible, but remember, if it doesn't those medically qualified folk around you are there to help! Speak to them and they can help you the best way possible!

• Posted

Thanks for keeping in touch.

I still have to get up in the night to go to the toilet but I think it might be my age 68 next month!

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.