still in pain with the Butrans Patches

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was put on butrans patches for neck pain, 5 months ago 5mg and was still in pain. I was then put on 10mg which helped. But I have continuous pain across my lower back. Why do the patches not help with this pain?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I started with the10mg patch, but then went on 15mg, because I was still in pain.

Have you thought about trying the 15mg? The 10mg might not be strong enough for you.  I have Fibromylgia and Osteoarthritis, so If  I didn't take the 15mg I would be in more pain than I am.  The doctor told me that no pain medication I take, will make me be pain free. Good luck with finding a solution for your pain. 

• Posted

Thanks for your advice, but I'm a bit worried that if I up the patches it might be to much. I'm only 8 stone and worried I might be affected by the side effects more and won't be able to work. Did you get any side effects when you went to 15? 
  • Posted

I'm a carer for my 69 year old mum and also i was addicted to painkillers in the past.  I was put on Subutex, an alternative to methadone.  During this time mum was put on Butrans 5mg then 10mg and eventually 20mg weekly patch.  Believe it or not Subutex and Butrans are one in the same thing.  I got my mum off Butrans.  Buprenorphine is an evil drug, which stays in your system for months after.  I am still suffering withdrawals 2 weeks later.  Mum was eventually put on Tramadol 100mg 3 times a day and the pain is a lot better.  Thats my 2 cents.  Oh if you want off butrans make sure ur doctor weens you off it using a 5mg patch for atleast 2 weeks.  As thats how long the withdrawal lasts.  Or the main withdrawal.  It lingers for weeks more after. 
  • Posted

Thanks for your advice. But I'm worried that if I up the patches they might be too much as I am only 8 stone. And am a bit worried that I might not be able to work.
  • Posted

Not sure what I'm doing on here yet, apologies!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.