Still minor bleeding 2 weeks after catheter removal - serious?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

I am a 46 year old male and already have serious health concerns at present, so I'm hoping this won't add to them.

JUst over 2 weeks ago, I was admitted to hospital for 3 days and was initially bed-bound, and a catheter was fitted.

When this was removed, I had minor bleeding when uriniating for a few days.  This then seemed to stop.

However, in the past couple of days, it has started again and, if anything, there is a little bit more blood now than there was just after it was removed.

Coincidentally, I had an upper abdominal ultrasound done on Thursday past.  The radiographer included the prostate in the scan and in her report, and she said it was normal size and healthy.

Should I be worried by minor bleeding returning?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

sometimes catheters can leave you with an infection, it did for me, but if youve no frequency or pain in passing its not likely, but l guess they can irritate to extent of causing a bit of bleeding, which could settle after a bit, but then become irritated inflamed and bleed more, could be just with movement or something youve eaten aggrevated it, try drinking lots of water or try a bit of bicarb in water, in case urines become a bit acid.If it does carry on take a sample into gp for testing, catheters are a neccessary evil at times and can leave irritation, Best wishes with all.

• Posted

Thanks, Lynne.

I've noticed that my urine has a stonger odour of the past day or two, so I wouldn't be surprised if there is a bit of an infection.  I am drinking plenty of fluids.

There isn't much blood, it's drops, but it has been sufficient to stain underwear and there is a nipping/burning feeling at the tip of my penis and that whole area feels a bit achy.

• Posted

Yes sounds like it could be infection or urethra, gp shoul be able to give you something to clear it up.  goodluck
    • Posted

It's still there at the start of urination.  I have an appointment with the GP at the end of the week.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.