Still nauseous after iron infusion, it’s been almost 8 days

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi everyone. 

I have constant nausea 8 days after an iron infusion. I had other symptoms on day 3 but they went away.

Has anyone else experienced this and should I just ride it through the next couple of weeks? I’m too scared to do it again after feeling so unwell and having to continue working it’s been a nightmare 

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had my infusion on Friday at 12pm noon. I noticed yesterday afternoon and all of today I've had really bad kidney pain, I've checked and apparently iron is very harsh on the kidneys and 24hrs after an iron infusion you're kidney's excrete 5% of the iron given during it. I also noticed yesterday my pee was rust coloured and very bad smelling for a while but that has cleared up now. I've got aching muscles too. I hope tomorrow I Wake up and these side effects are gone or going!. I'm in Scotland in UK so had the infusion on NHS.

• Posted

I suggest you check with the consultant. I have Ferinject every three months without bad effects so far. Monofer caused aphylactic shock. Maybe you need a different brand. Good luck. I am in UK. We are so lucky with the nhs.
    • Posted

I will do Capsicum thanks. Can I ask you, how many days after the infusion do you begin to feel better?.
    • Posted

It takes about two or three weeks for the iron levels to rise so I’m not short of breath. But luckily I now have monthly blood tests and get the infusion done before I start feeling really bad.
  • Posted

I also had two sessions over two weeks and thought wow not much in side effects as if there are side effects to be had I get them and I don't think my doctor always believes me. One week after the second infusion it started and I thought I had a tummy bug so isolated myself as I live in a retirement apartment and spend lots of time in the communal lounge and did not want to pass it on - it then seemed to clear up but a few days later it came back with stomach problems, nausea, headache and woozy, a very dry mouth and so very tired.  In some of the Forums later there is mention of H. Pylori which is of interest as I had to have treatment a few years ago for that so when I go to have the blood tests for the iron levels I think I will ask for that to be tested again.

Can anyone out there give a clue as to how long all this will last, I only had the infusion as when the doctor phoned to say my iron was still low and to increase the iron tablets I was prescribed and I said I did not like being on them that she suggested the infusion so now do not know which way to go though having had the infusion it is too late to do anything until it wears off so how long will that be? 

• Posted

I had an Iron Infusion over 5 weeks ago now and still feeling terrible. I have now seen an Endocronoligist who believes my symptoms are due to a significant drop in my phosphate level. A phosphate infusion did not help, think my Vitamin D needed to increased to allow absorrption. I am now on phosphate tablets , but still have a lot of trouble walking a lot of the time due to muscle fatigue and stiffness. I would love to hear from anyone who has experienced anything similar and if so how they recovered or what their experience was like. Thanks

• Posted

It's been almost 2 weeks since my final iron infusion and I'm still nauseous and lightheaded

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.