Still nauseous post lap choly 3 years

Posted , 3 users are following.

anyone get this intermittent problem, having to use anti nausea meds still. on low fodmap diet which helped for a while

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

10 months post op and sick as can be. Have ibs also for many years but since gallbladder surgery health is getting worse. May have gastritis. Gas is unending, nausea, bloating beyond tolerance at times. Have to use Carafate every 2 hours and eat small meals every 3 hours or I get extremely sick if I don't stick to this routine.

I don't know how much this is due to bile or what. Doing more tests. So far CT scan shows nothing. Seeing gi doctot tis Friday and dreading it.

Did your nausea start right away? I had light symptoms until 6-7 months post op then all heck broke loose.

• Posted

i had nausea before the op its just more often now. i dont know what can be done ive tried all diets

• Posted

Hi Ann55375 I am not trying to behave as a Dr but from what I have researched on the net, some people can eat normally after extraction and some not, I would assume this is to do with tolerance or the diets they eat. Anti acids may help but once the Gall Bladder has been removed, the Liver drips bile directly and continuously, into the common bile duct, so eating small amounts of foods regularly would stop the bile becoming an irritant to small intestine, or the stomach. It would sound the case with you, as it is intermittent and or a certain food source which still upsets you years after. It could even be something simple like the timing of your food eating? I can say, my mother who had her GB out says the same and if she eats something which upsets her stomach, she logs it in a diary for future reference . I too with mine still in, I keep a log of things which do the same and is how I found out that it is not only fatty foods, it is sugary foods as well which cause attacks, this is why I am desperate to have the HIDA scan! When I first came to this site I was determined to have my GB out but after reading the many posts in here about problems after removal, I am not so sure about having it out.

• Posted

i think you are very wise. yes, keeping a note of what to avoid does help. i live on soups and stews and mashed potatoes a lot. also mainly fish or chicken. heavy meats are not good. and of course anything greasy is just avoided. i hope you manage to steer clear of surgery as that seems best option. i have not had hida scan, do read up about it first as im not sure if it indicates anything about removal.

• Posted

Hi Ann, try and keep your mash on the dry side, not to much Marge or Butter, your looking for the mash to soak up bile. Toast as well if you do not react to bread. I could not eat Sainsbury whole meal, it was really weird, been eating it for years but yet I could eat Tesco's and both were exactly the same with ingredients?? It was after this I went down to porridge only and someone said to me try Mash and it works so this is one of my regular meals now with a slice or two of chicken and some Veg. Its a boring diet I have but it stops the Gall Bladder attacks. If you can eat dry toast as well might help.

Can I ask you a question is your pain in the same place as when you had the GB? If your pain is radiating to your shoulder you may have Liver stones? I was talking to my nurse who does my yearly Diabetes test and she had her GB out and she still gets stones but in other organs, it was a fascinating story even as a child she had stones, she said she is what they call a "prolific stone maker"! It is nothing to do with eating with her either, she just makes stones, truly amazing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.