Still no appointment for ERCP under G.A

Posted , 7 users are following.

My gallstones kicked off back in January. I went through all the routine procedures for it to be diagnosed I have them in my bile duct. So, an appointment was made for a ERCP to be carried out. As I predicted to the consultant, the local sedation did not work. I was ent home and informed that an appointment would be made for me to have a G.A. Well that was nearly 2 month a go, I am in daily discomfort with nack aches, a pressure feeling in my diaphram area etc etc. I do occassionally have the cramps and pains, which do not last for a few hours but a couple of days. However, because I am not going to the hospital with each very bad attack or going to my G,P, I was told by the surgeons secretary that I am not classed as clinically urgent. The reason why I am not constantly at the hospital is because I would rather be at home than sat in an hospital for a MINIMUM 7 hours having the same old same old tests, being sent home with no meds, because truthfully nothing really works, it may give temporary relief. I now have an appointment with my G.P. tomorrow to see if there are choices for hospital places. My local hospital informed me that the G.A. procedure is allocated one place a month, and cancer patients (understandable) are given precedent isf that placing is required.  So, if anyone has any information about patients rights for going to another hospital for treatment, I would be interested to know. By the way my diet has changed drastically, the only dairy product I have is semi skimmed in tea. No pastries, chocolate, alcohol,cakes, I eat fresh fruit and veg, meat but not anything processed. Plenty of water can get a bit boring so sugar free dilute juice gives it some zest.

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

It's strange how so many people can have such different experiences, following on from such similar extremely painful symptoms. I was rushed in to A&E in January with suspected heart problems like a lot of people. GB stones, infection and thickened walls diagnosed and I expected a straightforward wait for an op date. How naive! My paperwork was mis-processed twice, necessitating countless phone calls which were poorly dealt with, to the point of exhaustion. I started making a diary of problems to show the consultant, who now marked me as urgent. Finally I'm called to say we've booked you for your ERCP. Pardon? No one mentioned that to me before. ERCP now done, although I remember feeling uncomfortable and trying to get off the table part way through! Immense pain on waking afterwards, but extra pain-killers sorted that out. I actually find that bit funny now. Although, they've tried to book me in for the same ERCP three times since! I've had to ring countless times again for a GB op date, leaving more desperate messages on answerphones that aren't answered, until I start sounding less-than polite on them. Then I get my letter of op date and ring up to confirm I'll be there, to find out I'm supposed to be pre-clerked again, which hasn't been booked and I would have been turned away if I hadn't had the gumption to query the blood-tests myself. A lovely Sister sorted it all out for me over the phone. The ERCP team had used my blood-paperwork for the GB op, instead of using their own. It leaves you feeling so deflated about the admin side of the service, even if the nurses are wonderful while you're there. I have my op this Friday, hopefully, and I trust at least the surgeon is better at his job than some of the clerks have been so far! I know some people sail through these things, but there do seem to be some cases where it's fight, fight all the way. Keeping my diary and notes has helped support my irate phone calls to move things along. I just wish I hadn't have needed them. May you all have successful operations out there and a painless GB-free life afterwards!

• Posted

Sounds like an ordeal. Elizabeth. As I've posted, I've changed hospitals due to several cancellations of surgery over months. Means waiting on a new list again, but I could not cope with the on/off situation any longer and the constant chasing. I just lost confidence in their committment to my care. Glad you managed to sort yours out. It is enough to have this miserable condition without having to go through extra angst!

• Posted

I know. I hate taking pain pills, but even my local doctor has prescribed another pill to counteract the possible damage she thinks all the Ibuprofen may be doing to my stomach. I feel like I should rattle when I walk! I know there are so many people far worse off than me, but why does there seem to be such disorganisation when processing records?  It's so much easier to deal with when you have accurate dates and information given to you. Departments don't seem to work together cohesively, even though everything's computerised these days. All we really need is to know what's happening, so we can cope with it. Doesn't seem too much to ask for, does it? Good luck to you, I'll have my fingers crossed for you.

• Posted

Update: Operation to remove gallbladder on 15th September. When Junior doctors announced their strike, I phoned hospital, they assured me all ok and on course for op. The strike was only announced for a short time before cancelled. Yet the hospital sent me a letter, recieved saturday morning, cancelling the operation. In the meantime I have had my G.P. on the phone wishing to prescribe statins because my cholestrol is out of control, but they cant give meds because it could interfere with liver readings before op. I am now so furious that come tomorrow morning I will be venting my anger down the phone, and wanting to know why the hell they have jumped the gun on cancelling my op so long after the strike was called off.
    • Posted

Cupcakes, I feel for you, as you know I've had problems with mine being cancelled, starting with dr's strikes, then other excuses and still waiting. When I heard of the new strike dates, I was really brought down as they will be around when my new hospital would be giving me a date, based on what I was told, a waiting list of 3 months or so. They will only give me 2 weeks forward notice it seems, then you have the pre-op about a week before. Rubbish for planning one's life, but then this year has been like this all through. My health is really deteriorating - I now have a bad back, I'm sure the inflammation from the gb and poor nutrition resulting is to blame.

I'm really sorry you are also having problems. I hope you will be able to get through to someone who will listen.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.