Still no improvement

Posted , 4 users are following.

So it's been a week since I first started taking Amitriptyline for my anxiety and anxiety related nausea.

I haven't noticed any real change, my nausea is still persistent, as is my anxiety and low mood. I find it difficult to sleep at night and can't seem to calm down or stop overthinking.

My appetite is still low, and it's difficult to eat a full meal sometimes. 

I started at 10mg, but my doctor told me to up my dosage to 20mg if I saw no improvement by Friday. I have upped it and there really isn't any improvement physically or mentally.

It might sound weird but I've been hoping that it would sedate me by now, that way my stomach might improve and i'd feel more relaxed. Instead of throwing up and dealing with constant nausea every day.

Has anyone had any experience with Amitriptyline not working quickly? Did you see any improvements when your dosage was upped?

I plan to visit my GP tomorrow to see what she recommends.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It takes 4-6 weeks to be effective. I suspect the suggestion to increase was if you hadn't suffered side effects, to go ahead and increase dose slowly. Try listening to relaxation/hypnotherapy on YouTube at bedtime. Also take around 5pm, no later. Your doctor will say give it a chance to work.

• Posted

Hi Karen,

It's just so strange, from what i've read the sedation effect is supposed to be instant. But so far I haven't felt anything. I do have some recordings that my hypnotherapist gave me, so I should probably listen to them as well.

My doctor told me to take mine around 10pm before I go to bed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.