Still not feeling good on 30mg citalopram

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi, i am fed up with feeling scared and shaky all the time mornings are worse i wasn't like this before i started the medication. reason why i started taking citalopram is because of pyschogenic pain i know it's all in my mind but i just can't get it out of my head. nine weeks ive been taking this medication five weeks on 20mg and four weeks on 30mg. i feel like i will never get better upset all the time. i don't know what to do.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Edited

hi paula how are you doing, really sorry to hear about your troubles

could you speak to your doctor or mental health team again and see what suggestions they have, do you have any appointments coming up? it's really tricky business trying to find the right med or meds, and dose, along with waiting the time they an take to work, but in the meantime if you are doing particularly bad and feeling really unwell it might be a good idea to speak to your doctor or mental health team again

• Posted

Hi, jones, my doctor is ringing me this friday i think she will want to up my does again i don't want that to happen i think it could be the medication making me feel worse not sure maybe i could come of them and try to get better with counselling i had a telephone assessment with time to talk and was told yes we will give you counselling starting with in two or four weeks. its for eight weeks. i was told it could be side effects with the fear and shaky in the mornings i also have waves going through my body during the day but isn't as bad as the mornings. i was moved up to 30mg nearly five weeks ago. so been on citaopram ten weeks i think now. surley i should'nt feel like this crying and fearful. i don't know what to do

thank you so much for replying to my first message. hope your having a nice day.

• Posted

its horrible isnt it when we dont feel well so we try something to feel better and end up feeling worse,

i do wish i could give the right answer for you but people have all sorts of different reactions to these and other meds. all said and done it could be that you are not suited to citalopram and so could try something else instead, but please note this in only one opinion and other people will have other opinions. im not sure what country you are in and what the services are like there, but if possible could you phone your doctor and get an emergency appointment with the mental health team for say, this week? that way you could get their advice about what to do next, if you are getting quite desperate about your current situation

• Posted

Hi, jones i'm in the uk the doctor is ringing me this friday due to covid it's phone calls only. so will speak to her then it's only three days away see what she says maybe she will offer a different antidepressent ? plus i was on citalopram 20mg for a short time 10 years ago i didn't have any side effects back then maybe because i was younger i don't know. and not going through the menpause ? . anyway thank you for your support it helps thank you.

• Edited

Hi,

I have a similar experience with this medication and I'm wondering if you doctor suggested another antidepressant. Thanks!

• Posted

Hi, jeanette

i spoke to my doctor she told me to stay on the 30mg citoalpram and will speak to me again in three months. xx

• Edited

Hi Paula,

I hope your feeling atleast a little better.

I started Citalopram back in October last year, and in all honesty it took a good 4months before I felt any kind of relief at all, my anxiety was horrendous, I would shake and just cry randomly, intrusive thoughts was a daily thing and I was honestly so scared, I also have Psychiatry too, which has helped amazingly.

It is such a long winded journey with these mess for.some people unfortunately, somehow I fought through it and seeing how I was to how I am now is a big improvement, but I still do have down days unfortunately, but that will happen regardless,.. but I am hoping that you can get better soon, I haven't really got any advice, only that if you believe you can hold it out a bit long then please do so, I was so close to giving up on these mess then I noticed small changes weekly then daily, but also as Jones mentioned, sometimes it just isn't the right medication.

I also understand your struggle with the GP phone calls, not seeing them face to face makes it harder to explain how you truly feel, but hopefully they will start seeing us in person again soon (fingers crossed.) I live in the Midlands and they are only just easing up a bit.

I really do hope you start to see some positive changes, and my inbox is always open in case you would like to drop a message of any kind, I am always here to help and/or support as much as I can.

Keep strong!

Jade x

• Edited

Hi, jade i spoke to my doctor friday she thinks the citaolpram is helping me as i told her how i'm feeling with the fear and shaking i said maybe it's me and not the medicaction she said maybe so just stay on the same 30mg and she will ring me august. i don't know i just don't feel like me at all. because i still get up and go to work she must think i'm ok. we have to carry on regradless don't we. anyway i hope your well and the tiredness is better i was feeling tired but the last three nights its taking me at least two to three hours to full asleep. which isn't great. thanks for the support jade xx

• Posted

Hi Paula,

you will feel a bit distant for a while, it's not fun, but you should start feeling yourself again soon, it's a horrible feeling. I remember the first 6-7 weeks I just felt like I wasn't even me, I even felt like I was just watching g what was going on and not even here, if that makes sense? it is horrible. But I have a now 1 year old Heart Warrior Princess (She has half a heart) and a 5 year old daughter, and I had to keep strong and focused for them, I had amazing support from my boyfriend and parents so I believe that helped me loads, as well as Psychiatry, which has been an amazing help too.

I really hope you start to feel yourself soon.

If you are in the UK you can get a book called My Mood Tracker, you colour in days as to how you feel. It really helped me a lot, I believe you can get them on Amazon too if your in another country, it helps you see your improvement over months, weeks and days, it is surprising how much change you will see. Maybe give it a try? I have told a few people about it and they have seen their changes too, so hopefully it could help you too?

I am always here 😃 I know how hard the journey on these meds are so I try to help as much as I can x

sending hugs and I hope you start to feel a change x

Jade x

• Edited

Hi, jade thank you for replying xxx hope your little girl is doing well. i am trying to ignore the morning fear sure it's me not the medication ? i don't know i just keep telling myself it won't last for ever but when your feeling like this you can't see it ever ending if that makes sense? just sick of thinking and worrying about how i am feeling all the time. nightmare i am. anyway jade thank you lots of love to you and your family. you are doing so well under a lot of worry and stress your amazing

• Posted

Hiya Paula,

I think it may be the meds, your still in early days. Try give it another few weeks and see how you feel, if no improvement then go back and demand the doctors to do something. These meds are strong and are not for everyone. I really do hope you start to see an improvement though, because when they work, they really do work. For me they have done wonders for my Depression but not really touched my Anxiety, I believe it's Health Anxiety I have because I worry about every little pain or feeling I get, and with my baby being a Heart Warrior I worry a lot that something is wrong with my heart. It is annoying.

Thank you for your very kind words, my baby is due to go in to Birmingham Children's Hospital in the next month for her 2nd Open Heart Surgery, so a stressful time, and my eldest may need her Tonsils out so it's all good fun here lol. A bit of a knock back on my mental health but I'm trying my hardest to stay focused on my girls 🥰

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.