Still not happy with TKR after 19 months

Posted , 7 users are following.

Some 19 months ago I underwent a total knee replacement followed by months of physiotherapy including using a hydrotherapy pool, but however hard I tried stiffness & a really painful rubbing sensation occurs after I walk for about 5-8 minutes. Whilst in the pool this will subsides but returns when I get out of the pool. I have also undergone an MUA some 8 ,months after the op together with an injection. After this I was able to walk properly but gradually it has gone back & now stiffens & rubs when I walk. Presumably because the effect of the injection has worn off. I do walk for much longer periods but it is extremely wearing & I am wondering if anyone out there had suffered similarly & Has managed to overcome it??

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

The more u gear about GKR & UK the more u winder what the hell us going on. Prof Price - Oxford Manor & Orthopaedic apparently have (of had) a £40m grant you work out what was causing continuing knee problems after surgery- maybe they can help. I can't pretend I have much confidence in any of them but they are the "experts".

I get the impression if you survive the op that is regarded as a success & their aspirations following surgery are ridiculously low & have conflicting recovery advices. Best of .

• Posted

Hi Tim I’m 11wks post tkr today I have terrible pain with a tight band feeling round the knee. I was first told it was a 6wk recovery what rubbish I’m still on strong pain medication and today so fed up I’m not dressed and resting in bed. If anyone else says it’s early days I’m going to scream my consultant told me last week going to take 12-18 months recovery haha you’ve got to laugh. I’m not having the other one done xx
    • Posted

Hi Suki, I wish doctors were more realistic and tell patients there is a bell curve and some recover quickly, some after a few months and others (like me) will take longer. They don't define what "recovery" is and in my imagination, I thought I would be walking with a cane after 8 weeks. I took pain meds for 3 months, now I take turmeric and one Aleve a day. It's been almost 9 months and I have only started walking short distances in the last 6 weeks with crutches. I'd like to think I can avoid getting the other knee done, I've learned to get around fairly well at home via wheelchair. I miss pain free mobility so am trying Synvisc January 24th and hope it delays RTKR until the LTKR recovers. The pain does decrease over time but reading forum posts everyone is different. I do feel less stiff after doing the daily stretches which Chico says will have to be done for the rest of my life! But there is still something to be grateful for that I had this option available to me. Good luck 

• Posted

Hi Laurel you’re so right it’s the doctors and nurses that tell outright lies. We are all different and they don’t take into account other medical problems eg osteoporosis or arthritis where the bad leg puts pressure on the back. I’ve bought a small wheelchair so at least I can be pushed round the shops so I can see what I fancy to eat xx
    • Posted

yeah well ive got all of the after symptoms but refuse to let it get to me Im still better than before op I treated myself to a mobility scooter for the shops The one that folds down into 5 pieces Pride a gogo  £500 and some ramps to go into boot £60  as  4x4 is a bit too high for hubby but he manages and its opened up a new life at the shops I can whizz round inside most big shops boots john lewis Debenhams  and im getting better at driving it by the mile lol 

• Posted

Unfortunately medicine tends to have a one size fits all approach and does not take into account specific factors you have mentioned, plus age, weight, support at home or lack of support, etc. Its especially difficult for those of us with two bad knees because we don't have a good leg to stand on LOL! 

My daughter has to push my transport wheelchair if I want to get out of the house, so I've spent most of the last 9 months at home. The internet has been my way to keep in touch with the world as I live in remote mountains.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.