Still not sure if I'm in peri but does this sound familiar?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Wondering if this sounds at all familiar to anyone, I am about to turn 39, had a 'nervous breakdown' 6 months ago with no trigger or reason, I have suffered anxiety for years but never been this bad.

Anyway my most recent symptoms have been waking in the night but not always with a panic attack, instead I have a feeling of absolute impending doom.

I started my period 4 days ago, just 19 days after the last one and have noticed my anxiety heightens from day 4 until a few days after it ends now, it used to worsen before my period but now it's shifted to day 4 and beyond.

I don't have sweats but I do have facial flushing a lot especially on my period and I have itchy skin a lot.

My periods have been heavy for years but now on day 4 it will seem to be slowing down then I will have a very heavy gush, last month I thought I had forgotten to put a tampon in, thanked my lucky stars that I had backed myself up with a pad then got home and realised I had not forgotten and had gone through a super plus tampon and a pad in less than an hour.

They have been coming 3 weeks apart for about a year now, I had one or two 26 days apart but as I said this time it was just 19 days.

My gp said it might not be reliable to do a blood test because hormones fluctuate so much in the early stages of peri that it might not even show, I may get a second opinion though.

Sorry for all the TMI but this is horrible and I am reall trying to work out if the hell I have been in for the past 6 months could be related to it all.

1 like, 55 replies

55 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry I also meant to add bladder problems, I am needing to go very frequently, like when I was pregnant and if I need to go it will be sudden and urgent, absolutely no holding it.

I had some minor stress incontinence after having children which improved after I lost weight but now if I can't get to the loo I will definitely wet myself, the other day I decided to grab the post before I went into the loo and those few seconds ended with me wetting myself before I could undo my trousers, that has never happened to me and I couldn't stop it sad

• Posted

BellaLuna, you could be writing about me. I can so relate to all of this. Sounds to me like you are in peri. Ive had such a rough time going through it. Im 41 and this all started about 9 months ago. Im still trying to figure out how to manage. You are surrounded by some wonderful women on this forum who completely understand and are so supportive.
    • Posted

Thank you so much, it is just nice to know I am not alone and not going crazy, it's hard coping with all of these changes and sometimes I wonder how on earth I can but we have no choice, I am pretty sure it is peri too, I know my body and it's certainly suffering some changes.
    • Posted

Absolutely sounds like it to me. I'm 48 and my anxiety is off the chart, so bad the doctor put me on Ativan which I don't like because it's addictive, I just started HRT and am so hyperactive I can't stand it. You're not going crazy it's very real and it sucksrolleyes.
    • Posted

Hi Kathryn,

I know how concerning it is, mine gave me Xanax. Im scared to death to take it for fear of being addicted, so it sits in my medicine chest. Let us know how you fare with the HRT. I want to get on it to see if it will help.

• Posted

I will..so far it's making me really hyper but I just started so hopefully that will settle down.
    • Posted

See if your Dr will give you hydroxyzine instead of zanex as it is non addictive but has the same calming affect. It has been a life saver for me
  • Posted

Sounds like peri to me. Your story sounds very similar to mines and I will be 39 in a few months. Never had anxiety but I do now and its worse during The doc is rite about the hormones testing. They are not really reliable as hormones fluctuate daily even hourly so docs usually go off symptoms. You may have to get tested several times before it shows up. Cycles coming close together,l and heightened anxiety certainly are signs of peri.
    • Posted

Thank you, I did have anxiety prior to this but was very familiar with it and could deal with the symptoms, now it's like it's all new symptoms that I need to learn how to manage and things are worse than ever, there seems little point in pushing for a blood test then if it's unlikely to confirm anything but I will raise it with my GP again, she was dismissive about the whole idea of peri before but even if a blood test is not a viable way to assess things she should still have an idea of the symptoms and if they add up.
    • Posted

My GP and GYN are the same way. The whole idea was dismissed as they say I'm so young, cycles and I'm still having cycles. I've had a ton of tests and all come back clear and my cycles are still regular but have changed so I'm certain its hormones. I've been going through some changes for the past 5 months and it's been a rough ride. I'm thankful that I found this forum and the lovely ladies here. They have been a wealth of knowledge and an abundance of support. You are in the rite place.
    • Posted

God were all wishing we had one of those drs, how much easier would that make this menopausal hell!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.