Still on two crutches 9 weeks post TKR

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all

i am 9 weeks post TKR and knee exercises are going well. Bend is 107 and no problem with straight leg. I'm still doing all the prescribed exercises daily.

But.....I still can't walk outside without crutches. Am in UK so took myself off to a good private physio, who says the problem is that my hip muscles (glutes) are very weak as I have had so little exercise for so long. I've been crawling up stairs, unable to get into a bath etc for about ten years. He says the resulting weakness will take some time to overcome.....but that with time and effort, I will be able to do it.

Meanwhile, I can't get to the corner of the road to post a letter, to the hairdressers, anything that involves using a bus, so I am still heavily dependent on my husband. I feel like I'm under house arrest sad

Has anyone else had this? And if so, how long did it take to get walking again?

Many thanks

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi i remember the feeling of thinking i was never going to walk again without my crutch! I was struggling to! But i got there although i do stil have a bad limp! My physio said years of walking badly to compensate for pain doesnt help. After a tkr we are literaly learning to walk again. I posted on here lots thinking i would never progress and its so uplifting and nice to be able to empathise with you! I gave up my crutch to early and had to go back to using it as the physio said it was better to use it and walk better as bad habits form!

Im 17 wks now and honestly each day brings even the minute improvement even if we dont see it! Im very impatient as most of us are but we wil get there in the end! Im back at work into my 4 th wk which is causing lots of pain and swelling! A new problem! This makes me walk badly as it hurts so much. I am using my stick after work to walk! It is a long slow process as its so major. Im just excepting that now! Lol its early days for you please dont rush your healing and over do it. Perfect your walking with crutches then move on to 1 then a stick. It wil all happen honest.

• Posted

thanks a million for this support Debbie smile

i hope your limp improves and the pain as well.

And I will take your advice as far as I can....better to walk 'properly' whenever possible......

all the best 

• Posted

Your very welcome iv found this forum really helpful at times when iv struggled. Our family and friends however supportive dont know how we feel! X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.