Still problems post-op with fusion on disc C6-7

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi guys I'm really concerned 6 weeks post op and pain is worse than before! Weakness down right arm! Neck sore shoulders still tender! Circulation to my feet not good! Wish I'd never had it done! Mornings are the worse! Even hurts my neck and throat on when I yawn! I was never give. A neck brace to sleep in either! Apparently in America you get a neck brace to keep your neck straight whist everything knits together! Also voice isn't right! Has anybody else experienced this !!!! 😳

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Janice, I would definitely call your Dr and let them know you are having issues you described first. My c3-c7acdf was pretty smooth and healing went according to plan. I did have a hoarse voice and if I tried to raise my voice it would crack for a few months after sx. I was never given a neck brace to wear only a soft collar if I felt I needed it but I didn't have to wear it. Your feet shouldn't be involved with your neck, are you walking? Walking is important. Shoulders and rhomboid muscles were sore for me for a bit because of the positioning. Ice, heat, muscle relaxers that were prescribed and pain meds all helped post sx. I would def call your dr asap. 

• Posted

Hi Janice. I had C6/7 done just under 3 years ago and whilst I was lucky in that my voice and swallowing were never affected, they didn't manage my expectations well at all when it came to pain and residual issues. I didn't have any kind of collar, and I did everything to the letter in terms of meds, walking, not lifting etc etc. It is a VERY difficult recovery and you are still in the early stages. I would definitely give your surgeon a call, because like the other responder said, your feet shouldn't be involved. However I struggled with my neck and shoulders afterwards. I have residual nerve damage that the op couldn't fix; it was simply to stop the damage getting worse. I also still have pain meds now (though a lot less) and I tire easily. BUT I make sure I walk. Try to stay positive and do give them a call. Take care.

• Posted

I agree with tuckerraz, you may have had some nerve damage and that is causing some pain in your shoulders and arms, that might not ever get better because the damage is done but it won't get any worse either.

my surgeon also sent me for X-rays 1month after sx to make sure I was healing correctly and to see that the hardware was still in place.  I also had a 1month follow up appt to address any issues, medications, etc.. 

• Posted

Have you had a follow up appointment, to see the surgeon, the Ward would have given you a Number to contact them post op? 

I think you should have have at least a soft collar for comfort.

• Posted

It's still early days so much healing to do and scare tissue ect to settle down hopefully things will improve may be a MRI to make sure its not that's come un done or gone wrong

• Posted

Hi Janice

?You definitely need to speak with your surgeon and track him or her down - they do so many of these surgeries and move onto the next so quick that you have to make sure you get to them.  You will have so much healing to go through that it seems forever I know - I had L3-S1 fusion and I am heading into week 17 and I continue to have stuff through the healing process - ie my right thigh still having tingling/numbness and the pressure from the hardware (8 screws and the rods) - I had a brace that I wore for the first two weeks and then asked to not wear as it was causing me more discomfort than support.  It just takes time and you feel like it is forever, I just came off my meds (Oxycodone) and am going through a new experience of withdrawals so that is something I did not plan for.  I like yourself had my doubts whether surgery was the right thing, I would say in my case it was a good decision but again a longer recovery than I thought.  Just push with your surgeon to be heard and for sure write everything down before you speak with the details so you don't miss anything - when I did not make my list I always forgot something,  All the best!

• Posted

Hi Jim ! Thanks for your comment! I go to the hospital to see one of the surgeons team! Not happy about that I would rather see him! Yes your right I should write everything down so I don't forget to tell them when I go back! Hope your feeling better soon 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.