Still really really confused -conflicting dr’s dx

Posted , 8 users are following.

I posted about a month ago. April 4th, LLQ pain hit me out of no where. No fever, no bowel issues, no bleeding, no pain with peeing or bm's .... just really bad LLQ pain in my groin. A week of pain and i couldn't take it anymore, headed to the ER. Xray showed nothing, CT scan with contrast showed nothing. ER doc didn't know but he was sure it was diverticulosis. My white cell count was normal. The CT scan report said small pockets seen but no inflammation (my dr confirmed this report when I saw her 2 weeks after ER visit ... no inflammation or infection). ER doc was so sure it was diverticulosis that before he discharged me, he either looked at the CT scan himself or something, but he came back and said it WAS diverticulosis. Gave me an Rx of flagyll and a sulfer drug (sorry can't remember the name). 3 days into taking the drug, i was so sick I could barely move. The nausea was so bad I literally had to lie motionless or else I would retch. Vomited a couple of times, was so dizzy I couldn't even walk. I would be sweating one minute, and then freezing cold the next, but it was the nausea that was through the roof, just awful ! THEN, my bp decided to go sky high 2 days after this (I still wasn't feeling well). BP got up to 172/108, and my oldest daughter is a nurse, so she was worried and told me I should call 911. I was also getting a passing out feeling as i was sitting down and other odd feelings. Blood test at hospital showed no heart attack but my pressure still stayed higher than normal the whole time I was there (i have no bp issues). When I saw my doctor the next day, she told me to stop the meds as there was no sign of inflammation or infection reported on the CT scan. She thought maybe it WAS an ovarian cyst that burst and I was still feeling residual pain 2 weeks later. Fast forward to today, MAY 8th. I have pretty much had the pain since it started on April 4th. I think there have only been a few days where i had no pain. For the past few days, the pain is gradually increasing in intensity. Last night was bad, and the pain in my lower left back left me wanting to scream (i had same back pain when i started this pain, I'm comparing it to back labour. I feel the pain mainly in my left groin, its there constantly, but peaks in intensity. Is close to bringing me to tears. I had blood work done on Monday, and i can see the results online and my white cell count is normal. Again, i have no fever, peeing doesnt hurt, no blood in bm, just this really bad LLQ pain that hasnt let up since it started last month. I know i didnt sleep well last nite as the pain kept waking me. I am still in pain right now. But the pain will radiate not only to my lower left back, but across my bikini line and into my right side, almost to the point where it feels like really bad period cramps. I see my doctor tomorrow, but I'm at my wits end with this pain, and so confused because the CT scan showed NO inflammation or infection. I feel like i'm trapped and don't know what to do. Is this diverticulosis ? MY DOCTOR SAYS NO, ER DOCTOR A MONTH AGO SAYS YES. So confused since the ONLY symptom I have is the LLQ pain, but its in my GROIN. My doc did wonder if its a hernia, but I've felt no bump or bulge. The pain wears me down too. Sorry this was so long .... thanks for reading and possibly helping.

Jo - Ontario, Canada

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jo,

so sorry your pain is so bad, I just wanted to let you know all this seems possible with diverticulitis, I'm in same boat, had ct scan and abdominal ultrasound,all bloods egg, all came back clear, am in p as on since mid Feb, not all the time but most days , like you said it's all across lower back almost into tail bone, it's horrible, especially if I try to do smallest bit of house work, I had desperate naussea when it all started back in Feb, that's gone but pain is so exhausting , I really hope relief comes soon for us both.

• Posted

Thanks for your kind words. Yes, i hope the pain stops soon too, for both of us. It's affecting my everyday life now. I have had a few good days, but not many this past month

• Posted

Wow, you have really had an experience. Not like any DD flare I'VE had; thank God for that. Was the other drug you were taking Cipro, by chance? That's the combo usually prescribed here in the States, and last time I took them I got so sick I had to bail before the course was done. I don't know that it actually killed the infection anyhow, as I've had issues ever since. Not enough for a scan but certainly something is amiss.

I wish I could help, but your experience sounds like no DD flare I've ever read of. I hope you can get to the bottom of it.

One thought: I assume you've done so, but have you gone to a liquid diet? That's usually what docs prescribe along with the meds. After a couple days of that, very soft, bland foods. Many DD sufferers can control the flares with diet alone, I have read -- although maybe not in your advance case.

• Posted

Milesdad, the ER doc put me on Sulfamethoxazole and Metronidazole. He also prescribed Naproxen for pain ... didn't do anything for the pain. I've taken it twice since the weekend, thinking it might just help this time, but again nothing.

Yes, ER doc told me liquid diet, which i did for 3 days, but my appetite never really returned. I eat a bowl of cereal and a glass of oj every morning, but there are mornings where i don't want to eat. I lost 10 lbs in the first 2 weeks (lol i could stand to lose more ... I'm 5'5" and right now 226 lbs) but i have gained some of that back, but i haven't had the best appetite since this all started. Bananas, toast and applesauce was my diet for more than a few days this past month.

• Posted

THINGS THAT CAME TO MY MIND AS I WAS READING THIS. KIDNEY INFECTION, kidney stones, gall bladder or intestinal infection. GOOD LUCK!

• Posted

Gallbladder is a totally different pain. I just had mine out.

• Posted

No gallbladder, had that removed maybe 15 years ago ? Doesn't hurt when i pee, had urinalysis done twice and it was good. I've had a kidney infection in the past and the back pain is close, but not the same area, and I'm not screaming when i pee lol. Yeah, I won't forget that !

• Posted

Hi Jo,

I am in Ontario too. Sounds like the pain I get. The groin almost the crease were your leg and body meet then all the way over to the right side. I too have cysts and one ER doc said I might have a hernia. He said to watch for a lump and redness. I find I have to go to soft white foods and I was doing rice cake, pills, rice cake to sandwich the pills but this last time my nausea was so bad but when I switched to mash potatoes no milk with pills the nausea was not so bad. And I ate very little food otherwise.

People always said heat will help the pain and I just poo pooed that idea until I was desperate with pain and WOW how it helped me.

I really hope you start feeling better soon.

Julie

• Posted

Your spot on with the location. I can even feel a pulling in my groin when i walk.

Heating pad doesn't work ....

• Posted

Hi I'm sorry to hear about your pain, I can relate to you on this matter. I have had 3 flare ups since Xmas, I was on metronidazole and cefalexin, I have just finished another course. I have vomited like something possessed and the pain is excruciating, I have had blood in stools and bloods show a high protein in my liver. I also had uti as well as this is another problem of a flare up. Your pain sounds exactly like what I had myself, lower back etc and mine was diverticulitis. Doc has recalled me for my bloods again and also have to go for the camera again. I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

I'm hoping when i see my doc tomorrow (having PAP done as a 1cm lesion was found on my cervix during the u/s), she will have a feel around and possibly send me for another CT ..... I'd even agree to a colonoscopy again (last one done early October'18, polyps removed and diverticuli noted). I just want a definitive answer to this pain

• Posted

I hope you get some answers, as it takes people's quality of life away.

• Posted

I'm so sorry you are feeling this pain. I also don't present with the normal symptom picture. Since February 2018 I've been hospitalized 4 times. Twice with abscesses. I had no fever, groin pain, normal blood work etc. CT scan showed abscess. Then the last two times no abscess but excruciating pain around to the back and across the pubic bone. I just had a colon resection on Monday. I'm doing well so far. This surgery is actually easier than diverticulitis pain.

• Posted

I wonder why my doc didn't know that ? I'm really hoping she'll do something for me tomorrow

• Posted

I hope so to. This disease is so nasty. It's the pain that got to me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.