Still showing some symptoms of UTI.

Posted , 5 users are following.

As of last Friday, I am two weeks post antibiotics (generic Macrobid for 10 days following five days of Cipro with two days between the two).  However, I still feel just...unwell, I suppose is the closest description.  I'm still having high and low back pain (low is worse), burning when I urinate (sometimes significant), absolutely no energy, depressed and my anxiety level is through the roof.  I haven't taken my temp but have felt chilled a few times.  There is no blood in my urine that is visible to the eye (I can usually see bright red blood on my tissue and pantiliner) but my urine is darker than the clear/pale yellow that is indicated as a "healthy" color.

Could the UTI still be there, merely dampered by the meds?  I have plans to see my doctor on Tuesday for a UA (isn't the first time I've needed multiple antibiotic cycles to clear up a UTI) and when I do he will likely send me on to a Urologist.  I was just a little curious about the opinions of other posters. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like there is still an infection there and pretty nasty.   Docs in Uk now often give a 3 month course of the appropriate antibiotic to people who constantly suffer these UTIs. Have you had your urine tested?.
    • Posted

Many times.  About five years ago I started having UTI's after going many years without any (had several kidney infections in my teens and 20's).  From my readings, I gather post menopausal women sometimes run into this.
  • Posted

Hi Sandra,  have you had these kind of symptoms before after you've had multiple antibiotic cycles?  I ask because you mention you've had Cipro and when you describe "...absolutely no energy, depressed and my anxiety level is through the roof" this sounds very much like an Adverse Reaction to Cipro.  You can find out more about problems with Cipro if you search this site for Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome.  There is a thread started by the Emis Moderator which gives lots of info and advice. 

Had you taken Cipro before?  Even if the symptoms you describe are not linked to the Cipro you took, I would advise that you never take it again  - or any other Quinolone antibiotic (e.g. Levofloxacin etc.).  The dangers of a toxic over load are all too real, as you'll find out from the thread.  Most doctors haven't heard of it though, or don't believe it, so you have to look out for yourself!

The problem might be a post menopausal thing, as you say.  The tissue around the urethral opening gets thinner and sore because of the lack of oestrogen - and urine makes it sting!  Maybe ask if some oestrogen cream is all you need.

• Posted

The reason I'm so concerned about the uptick in my anxiety is because I have had an anxiety disorder since my mid 20's (Panic Attack Syndrome) and take Xanax daily.  This has *always* controlled my anxiety and when I *still* feel like *this* after my regular dosage, well, I wonder about the Cipro, as well, even though it was my first and only time to take it.  I've been waking during the night with panic attacks and my stomach constantly feels like it's in knots (never had these symptoms before).

I've spoken to my doctors about the hormonal thing (it's been 10-12 years since first signs of menopause and I felt I had easily "cruised" through it with no problems whatsoever).  The doctors weren't concerned and were actually quite impressed I had not had any type of hormone therapy at all (I would rather not use any type, even the cream, if possible).

I simply can't get past the feeling, with my symptoms and my having had them so many times, that my original infection has only been weakened...not killed.

• Posted

I'm having computer problems and might have just lost my entire reply to you.
    • Posted

Having been floxed, myself I' m afraid I have to agree with Miriam. Waking up with panic attacks in the night is typical with Cipro anxiety. When I suffered from UTIS in my early twenties I was admitted to a kidney ward for tests. All the other women on the ward were post menopausal. This was before HRT became common. The feeling of having an infection can also be a floxing symptom as Cipro can provoke interstitial cystitis.
  • Posted

Doctors may be impressed by your not having had any hormone treatment but that doesnt mean you dont need any. I use Vagifem vaginal pessaries twice a week and it keeps those vulval tissues healthy.    They are a very low hormone dose and unless you have had any cancer of uterus,ovary, or breast they are reliably safe.     Dont be put off by scare stories about hormones.    I have suffered UTIs all my life with kidney infections just like you so I am always sympathetic to anyone in the samer boat.     Interesting advice about Cipro from Miriam and Madge. Maybe this is the cause of your being 'down',although a prolonged infection can have the same effect.

This may sound daft but do you do Pelvic floor exercises?    These can help to lift, enclose and close the urethra,especially during sex.   I'm sure you do all the 'washing before and after' bit but dont know if that does any good if the partner doesnt have good hygiene.

Utis are the bane of millions of womens lives.   If only a permanent cure was found that drug company would make billions.   Good luck. 

• Posted

I simply prefer not to use any HRT...even low dose.  As for sex, lol, I haven't had sex since the summer of 2001 when my [now ex] husband and I separated after 30 years.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.