Still Sick after so long

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone. i got ebv in october 2017 and am still experiencing flare ups. its horrible. i experience fatigue, sharp pains in lymph nodes, blurry vision, nerve pain all over, stiff aching joints, brain fog, etc. i was healthy before this. i just have no clue what to do, and my mind plays tricks on me because my ex was a cheater and i think this is maybe hiv or something serious, even though all my blood tests have been negative. i just cannot imagine EBV could make someone feel so sick. im 19 and i got this virus when i was 17. i dont know why my immune system cant fight this off. when i got sick i was dating my ex who was horrible and gave me severe emotional stress for 2 years. now i have a thyroid problem due to this virus. anyone else going through this? i want to calm down and believe my negative tests that its not something worse. can ebv really be this bad.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hey Nicole. I'm a little ahead of you- I got Mono July 2017. I'm stick dealing with constant flareups. I'll have a good one to two week stretch then relapse for a few weeks. I too have the fatigue, muscle pain and I get low grade fevers and upset stomach, shakiness and nerve pain. It's awful. I'm still working doctors and doing tests. I'm doing a sleep test because I wake up so sick every morning.

This virus absolutely can do this to you. I wouldn't worry it's anything else. It sounds like we just have to wait it out and take care of ourselves in the process. Lots and lots of water, rest and not overdoing it when we feel better. I'm so sorry you are dealing with this so young. (I was 37 when I got it.) Hang in there.

• Posted

i needed this today. feeling so weepy and like theres something my doctors arent finding. im so glad to know im not alone. hope you feel better soon

• Posted

Hi Nicole,

My daughter has also been sick for two years, blood tests are ok, her symptoms are like yours and Lisa's. I also had it and was sick for a year and the last year I have finally seen a change. My daughter is 28 and was also perfectly healthy prior to the mono/Epstein Barr virus. You will recover eventually it is very common to wonder if it is something else as the virus has so many symptoms you have never experienced.

• Posted

of course! We got you! I've cried a river over this virus. Mainly grieving who I used to be. But it's also pushed me to do things I would have never done (writing two books) so there are some tiny silver linings.

You'll get back to normal. You're so young- it'll happen and this will be a great party story to tell. 😃

• Posted

so glad you feel better and hope yourdaughter heals soon!! thank you for your reply it makes me feel better knowing this is how ebv is

• Posted

your so sweet! and yes i have thought about even getting into the holistic health field because of this virus. i want to help others understand because all of us had no idea and im sure none of us knew about ebv before we got sick. we found the info ourselves

• Posted

hi, i got sick november 2017 and though im better any sort of emotional stresss or not eating well really makes me feel fatigued and achey and sore throat. youll be better but please take care of your emotional health i have read that stress even small stress can make us feel unwell quickly. try accupuncture and youtube meditations for healing .. sounds fruity but i think ghose things helped me. i also saw a naturopath which may or may not have contributed to me slowly starting to feel better.

im now 85% to my normal self but im also at the end of my pregnancy so time will tell if that has anything to do with my improvement... the anxiety is terrible but hang innthere because i found that it really changed for me and i started feeling better slowly, slowly... and then things improved much more quickly 😃

• Posted

Good luck with your pregnancy Van - glad that things are feeling a good bit better, just continue to look after yourself and take it easy of course and believing that your body will continue to improve over time and get back to 100% or as near as!

Craig

• Posted

thank you for your reply, i know what your going through. i will try actupunture

• Posted

Hi Nicole,

You've been through such a horrible time with this virus and definitely empathising remembering my own similar struggle and experience of the virus. I absolutely agree with Lisa and Mono too that what you are going through most definitely is highly likely just to be from the EBV virus and nothing else, it does take an extended period to fully recover from this thing Nicole - after 15 months I was seeing some improvement but still in a fragile state and experiencing some flare ups at times too. But it did pass and get better with time Nicole, thanks only to God. These do pass Nicole and this doesn't last forever, truly I believe you will get there with this and that you will see notable improvements as time goes on, and believing that this is going to be a much better year for you, praying it can be one of hope, breakthrough and recovery.

This really is a nasty nasty virus and your body really needs proper extended time to get back on its feet again so to speak - but you will get there Nicole. Hang in there and God willing you won't have to go through anything as intense as the last 15 months again over the coming year - my experience very much was that the second year was when really started to see some change and my health and confidence bit by bit started to return - that will come for you Nicola, it really will.

Lisa's point about grieving for your old way of life is such a relevant one, it completely changes your life this virus and you have to slow down and sometimes stop doing some things you enjoy etc for a while, but it won't always be this way - Nicole you are young and your body has amazing resilience and recovery powers (thanks to God), even if it doesn't seem that way now, you will recover and I believe have lots of healthy and happy times ahead in your 20s. Thinking about you still and hang in there - you WILL get over this and don't beat yourself up or expect too much of yourself when not feeling great - be kind to yourself, rest when you need to rest and remember that you will get better and get back to full health again with time.

Craig

• Posted

thank you for your reply craig. i am holding on with the hope that ill feel better soon. hope your well. i will try to take care of myself

• Posted

It's not easy I know Nicole, but definitely there is hope and keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Remember just take things one day at a time, and keep in mind that things won't always be as they are now, there will be improvement and recovery, sometimes it just takes an extended period of time with this unfortunately but in no way does it mean that it won't come or happen, because it will I truly believe that.

Thinking about and remember look after yourself and take things slowly.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.