Still so up and down on Venlafaxine

Posted , 3 users are following.

Bene on venlafaxine since beginning of December.  I'm up to 225mg which seemed to working a treat, however, I do get the odd day of anxiety here and there.  Today is probably the worst.  It started as racing heart a few days ago. Now I'm getting the tinglyness, nervous tummy, feeling a bit down.    I'm really scared that I've got treatment resistance depression/anxiety.

I took some MDMA whilst on holiday last June, which kicked this whole thing off. 

Its just so sole distroying as I felt on top of the world earlier this week.

Im sue to see a Psychiatrist thrugh the NHS , but the appointment hasn't come through.

Can such thing as a brain scan be carried out to see what damage the brain has?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

there is still a lot to learn about how the brain works.  There is no such thing as a brain scan which will tell you what damage there is from drugs.  a brain injury such as a stroke, or damage from an accident can be seen on a brain scan.  What is certain is taking illegal drugs can interfere with normal brain functioning.  Which is why most if  not all doctors, would not recommend taking substances such as MDMA.  However it is important to be honest with a psychiatrist about taking these things, they won't judges you (neither am I by the way) and it could be important i getting you the correct treatment.  Good luck.
  • Posted

hi kerrie im on 225 venlafaxine also but i also have to take quetiapine and other meds i still have bad times but i try to work through them ! ive had really bad depression and anxiety for a long time i had them for years but i had a brain heomorage 2 years ago which made it worse ! i get short term memory problems as a side effect of it ! regards seeing a phycatrist if youve been waiting a long time and you think you need to see them quicker just phone them and explain why you need to see them quicker and dont be afraid to open up to the phycatrist because they are there to help you ! please let me know how you get on take care david x
  • Posted

I was on 150mg Venlafaxine for 9 years.  I had ups and downs and good and bad days.  It did help a lot with my depression and anxiety, but did not take them completely away.  I think the odd day of anxiety here and there is nothing to worry about.  Unfortunately although anti depressants take most of the problems away, I find they do not take them away completely.

I have been on anti depressants for nearly 30 years and find this is common with all of them.  I never thought that I had treatment resistant depression.  Even in the psychiatric hospital it was still up and down with most of the patients.  would be lovely if the medication really did get rid of all depression and anxiety all the time.

That is my personal experience.  I found psychiatristsd, and I have seen quite a few, just adjusted my medication.  Hope you get some practical help.  There is no brain scan for depression.  It is not caused by damage to the brain as such.

• Posted

hi anne i agree with you about venlafaxine im on 225 mg and i still get problems with my anxiety and depression ! i was getting crying spells so the phyciatrist put me on quetiapine which does help a bit.but although its helps it doesnt stop them ! i sometimes get really black spells which i hate the only thing keeping me here is my wife and my sisters and brothers ! i just hope things get better soon.i hope your well anne x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.