Still stiff & sore

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi - I'm reaching out to those of you who are 17 weeks post op or more. I'm 18 weeks post op on Tuesday and I'm still having stiffness & soreness. Especially when I get up from a sitting position - it takes me several seconds to get my bearings, then I hobble out. Being in a restaurant or theatre is embarrassing. I went through this before the op and am very disheartened that I still experience it. Will it ever be "normal" again?? I feel it should not hurt so much at this stage ( very much so in my groin area of my TKR side) 

I don't know, maybe it has nothing to do with my TKR and arthritis in my hip is getting worse. Just wondering if others experience this.

My knee feels numb & tingling too! 

Betty 18 weeks on Tuesday 

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi there, I am about 20 weeks out from having both my knees done at the same time, I still have some stiffness & soreness. But it is not as bad as it used to be so there is hope that it will get better. I also feel the same way about being at dinner or theatre and having to get up from the chair is embarrassing. I still cant get out of a chair that has no arm rest to help me up so my husband has to help me with that, than there is the few secounds it takes to get your legs going it is rough, but I still hope that this will get better soon. 
    • Posted

Wow Patricia, you had both knees done at the same time?? You have my admiration! What a brave woman you are!

At 20 weeks out and you are still experiencing that awful pain & stiffness after standing up, must mean it does take a full year to feel "normal" again. Is there anyone on here that is past the year mark that can tell us? 

I wish I didn't worry what others think, feeling embarrassed when standing up and hobbling out the door, but I can't help it. I had my hair done today, and I was dreading when the time came to wash the color out, as I have to walk over to the wash basin. I have yet to walk from the salon chair to the wash basin in a graceful manner. My stylist looks at me with such pity, ha.

I feel terrible complaining about it, as there are so many others who have far worse problems sad but it's nice to share our mutual problems on this site. Thanks Patricia  

• Posted

sorry betty , i think the same as the others , im 16 weeks on my 2nd knee the other one is 9 months and i still get the same nagging in both , strangly more in the first knee , ive been back at work now for 3 weeks doing a heavy job , and find it tough going and hope they will settle soon as my gp has said ,i do think we forget about how we felt before ,i know i coudldnt have worked so things must be getting better , the tingling you have said is the nerves growing back together a very strange feeling . things take a long time but i do feel possitive about things getting better , smile
  • Posted

Oh dear, Betty that groin pain sounds ominous. I had sharp pulls in the groin, coupled with an aching lower back, and it took almost 2 years for someone to finally discover that the problem was my hip. I had a 'minimally invasive' hip replacement 2 years ago, and let me assure you, that compared with a TKR it is a walk in the park. The pain is much less, I had no rehab, and was walking without help after 3 weeks. I don't even know I have a steel hip in there! So if you do need a new hip, just go get it and don't worry.
    • Posted

Hi - well I had feared my groin pain might be from my hip, even though I was hopeful when the pain disappeared the first several weeks after my TKR. But you are probably right in saying it's most likely from my hip. I guess the only positive side to this is I have also heard hip replacement is much easier than TKR, so I have that for some comfort if hip replacement is in my future.

No rehab, huh? That is amazing! How are you feeling today and was the surgery worth it? No more groin pa

• Posted

Oops -sent too soon! So you are groin pain free? Thanks for your response! Betty
  • Posted

yes two numb knees one of which is9 months amd one at 16 weeks , oi find it stiff every morning and after resting and tea breaks at work , BUT the last week ive woken up and ive moved around on my sleep and didnt wake up  yeaaaaaaaaaa ,i still find the out sides of both knees feeling numb and tingly , was told this could last up to 2 years and i can lie down to watch telly and i move and dont think about it unless i move too quick . the tingling is the nerves growing back together so im told , sure things will improvr=e more ,if you go backin time and remember the pain before and after your op you will see a masive change ]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.