Still stressing about post menopausal bleeding

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

I started having a slight pink discharge a few months ago...GP did exam and referred to clinic for transvaginal ultrasound...all came back normal. I am now stressing that this could be cervical cancer...struggling to go and face the smear test because of health anxiety. I am 56 years old. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Please do try to have the smear test.   It probably is not cancer but an ectropian,ie cells from the inside of the uterus which protrude onto the cervix. Its very common and easiy treated.
  • Posted

If you're worried about cervical cancer, you could buy a HPV self test, something like the Delphi Screener. MOST women, about 95% of us aged 30 to 60 are HPV-...this means we can't benefit from smear tests, they simple expose us to risk from false positives. (which can mean excess biopsies and over-treatment) Smear tests can be intolerable after menopause, very painful, can cause soreness, bleeding and even a UTI.

most women are HPV- and are having unnecessary smear tests. If you're HPV-...you can forget about cervical cancer. The Dutch only offer a smear test to the roughly 5% of women aged 30 to 60 who test HPV+ and HPV self testing is available for those who prefer it.

It may be hormonal but if it persists or gets heavier, you could ask for a referral to a gyn, any bleeding after menopause is a symptom to watch, uterine cancer would be the concern.

Of course, it also depends on when you had your last period, if you stopped menstruating completely more than a year ago, then I'd keep an eye on the discharge...if it worsens to spotting or bleeding, I'd probably ask for a referral, symptoms need proper investigation, not a smear test, which is an elective screening test for women with no symptoms.

It's probably hormonal and nothing to worry about..

• Posted

I was like this however im 28 and I had never had one I also had a lump down there with problems like bleeding inbetween periods and heavy bleeding clots and bv U mention it I had it I worried my self sick about cancer and every thing I did or dead I thought that's it I have cervical cancer after :-4 years of hiding away not going for my smear I thought I have to do this I many of times put the phone down or put it off when booking but one day I thought what's 5 mins of hell compared to dying so I made the appointment for a months time and I didn't cancel and went that day petrified but I went and that's the main thing , I got it done and waited results and they said that it was all clear and fone I also had swabs done for other things and those to where ok, now I do t think about it because I know I'm ok, it's all mind over matter the more you think U have something wrong the more you become scared and I'll with it, just book and go like your going the shop if it helps book something in to do after wards like get your hit done or go shopping someone told me on hear to do that so you have something to look forward too im so glad I went now I'm not up searching symptoms on Google thinking im dying please book and go to it just have the get up and go philosophy like your just going somewhere you go every day. Good luck x

• Posted

Loo, if you have symptoms, a smear test is inappropriate, you need a proper investigation, you could never trust smear test results in a symptomatic woman. As it is, women with no symptoms and a normal smear test are told to see a doctor with any symptoms, false negatives occur as well as false positives. The smear is a fairly unreliable test - that's why countries will slowly confine it's use to the fairly small number of women who test HPV+ (the Dutch have already made that move, Australia will follow in 2017)

If you have symptoms, you need a proper investigation, not a smear test. 

• Posted

Wainright22 do you still

Have the spotting? Did you find out what caused it?  I've been having the same problem and all my tests come back

Normal but it's still a little scary. I'll be 60 in October so no one wants to see pink spotting at that age.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.