Still,struggling to get off Venlafaxine

Posted , 12 users are following.

hi, I've just started a 3 rd attempt to get off Venlafaxine...I took a quarter of a 75mg tablet today after having a quarter 2 days ago. I'm in agony, pounding headache, crying, and sweating in my sleep. I'm taking the omega3 to try and help. What a disgusting drug!! I will never go back on this one again..if I ever get off. Do I keep on taking the quarter of a tablet every 2 days? How long for?

please, anyone with advice or support, please help. Thank you. 

2 likes, 60 replies

60 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Take a quarter every day for a couple of weeks and then go to every other day. That worked for me first time around.

Good luck. I've just started tapering down from 375mg - I think it's going to take a while!

• Posted

Hi Lucy, thanks for reply. That does make sense. I will do that. Isn't it a horrid drug . I was put on this last Nov and kept on saying it's not doing anything but make me sweat. Now, finally I'm coming off. I just wish I'd been told how horrible this is to come off from. This is my 3rd attempt. I wish you luck Lucy, let me know how you get on. Julia 

• Posted

Hi Julia I really didn't like venlafaxine, I took it for 18 months and put on a stone in weight, previously over 20 years I'd taken citalopram. I felt really miserable on it so decided enough is enough. I was taking 150mg and over three months reduced slowly, I bought a tablet cutter also which helped although the process wasn't easy I succeeded and now I don't take anything and feel so much better. I still every few weeks get dizzy/brain zaps but it only lasts a very short time. Good luck with coming off this horrible drug.

• Posted

Thank you for your email. I've got a tablet cutter now, now currently on 18.5...5th attempt. I'm dreading it as I don't seem to get past the 18.5 part. At least not for 3 or 4 days then I start feeling so ill I take a 37.5 just to cope for the day ...then have to start again. I will update ...I should do a daily blog! Xx 

• Posted

Hi Lucy, how are you doing with the tapering of Ven. Today I began 9.2 after having a horrid week of 18.5. The beginning of the week was evil and I started pulling my hair again. (Look so attractive with my 2 bald patches on opposite sides). Towards the end of the week I felt a bit brighter as my body got used to the reduction and I saw my daughter and my grand babies for a couple of hours yesterday which made me feel great. Almost normal. 

Anyway, here comes the following week of half of the 18.5. I was going to give it a week and then drop altogether next Sunday, but will take each day as it comes.  Thinking of you, hoping you are ok? Take care of yourself xx

• Posted

Hi Julia

I've been off of venlafaxine for three weeks tomorrow. The first few days were awful but then I seemed to level out as far as withdrawals go. I discharged myself from hospital (thank god I went in voluntarily!) after one week and had felt pretty good considering. However the last few days the withdrawals have hit me again. Awful brain zaps every time I stand up, horrible fatigue and can't seem to control my temperature - dripping in sweat one minute and cold the next. Feeling really low in myself too but I'm hoping that's just a reaction to the physical effects of withdrawal and not the depression sucking me down again. I guess time will tell...

Please take it very slowly. If you need longer on the current dose, then stay there for a while longer. It can be counterproductive to rush it, even though I know how much you want rid of it. You're almost there and have done so well. Just listen to your body and do what feels right for you.

Is your doctor being supportive?

Lucy xx

• Posted

Glad to hear you are home, bet that made you feel better straight away. Thanks for reply, it can feel so isolating tapering off this drug. My MH worker is supportive but the Gp isn't. He has only given me enough for one more week at this small dose and he will refuse me more. He has not been sympathetic at all about me withdrawing from this drug, I think he is just fed up with me saying I'm coming off, then going back on when it starts hurting. I'm sseeing my MH worker tomorrow, she is lovely. I'm feeling dizzy now so will sign off. Thank you for your support. It's so appreciated xx

• Posted

Just over a year and have never looked back, I feel so much better being drug free, I actually want to get up in the morning and get on with my life. I’m retired and have thrown myself into volunteer roles. X
    • Posted

How lovely to read this, well done!!! I'm on day 4 of 9.2 Venlafaxine...and I walked my doggies today!! I was sweating and aching all over but I dosed up on fish oils and off I went. So nice to see my doggies fast asleep because I took them out. 

Kaye, you should be so proud of yourself...evil drug! And you beat it! 

• Posted

Thanks Julia yes I must admit I’m proud of myself in getting off that evil drug, I don’t think doctors realise just how difficult it is to withdraw from it. You will get there, stay focused on the day you don’t take or need it 😃

• Posted

If you can get your Dr to prescribe the 37.5mg instead of the 75, you can cut down by even smaller increments if you need to.

Good luck, it is doable, just take it very slowly.

• Posted

Thanks Lucy. I asked about this today and it was agreed ...so as  from tomorrow I will be taking the smaller amounts. I was quite angry at the doc, as he hadn't told me about the withdrawal and his plan was too fast to get me off the Venlafaxine. It was actually my mental health worker who told me the withdrawal needed to be slow. Still, I am feeling better today and I'm sitting up eating without that bloody headache!!! A whole 2 days of it, and constant sickness. All I ate was ice lollies...2 boxes of them, which probably wasn't the best idea but all I could manage. Thank you for your reply. Julia 

• Posted

Some doctors are so badly informed about it. After a recent overdose the doctors in the hospital told me to come off it in one go. I was actually OK for a few days but on the fifth day I woke up and couldn't even walk across a room without falling over. The sickness, dizziness and headache were just awful. Luckily my GP was happy to go against hospital orders!

• Posted

Yes thank god your doc was happy to go against that ridiculously dangerous advice. Hope you are feeling stronger now Lucy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.