Still,struggling to get off Venlafaxine

Posted , 12 users are following.

hi, I've just started a 3 rd attempt to get off Venlafaxine...I took a quarter of a 75mg tablet today after having a quarter 2 days ago. I'm in agony, pounding headache, crying, and sweating in my sleep. I'm taking the omega3 to try and help. What a disgusting drug!! I will never go back on this one again..if I ever get off. Do I keep on taking the quarter of a tablet every 2 days? How long for?

please, anyone with advice or support, please help. Thank you. 

2 likes, 60 replies

60 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hey Judy...are you still around? Julia 
  • Posted

How are you doing Julie?

I managed to get down to 37.5 over the summer without too many side effects. But the depression has kicked in again big time. My CPN, psychiatrist and GP all want me to try something different as clearly the venlafaxine didn't help much before and I was waiting for another appointment with my psychiatrist to discuss different options. Unfortunately the first appointment I could get with him was the end of October!

This week I've ended up being admitted into hospital. That's OK, I thought, as they can sort some medication out and I won't need to wait until end of October...

The first psychiatrist I saw here on admission Monday night agreed with me it would be good to try something different. He was also concerned about venlafaxine as I have a heart condition which venlafaxine is known to aggravate.

Second psychiatrist I saw yesterday also agreed. Wanted to arrange a multidisciplinary meeting with pharmacist and cardiologist to come up with some suggestions for medications.

I saw yet another psychiatrist today who couldn't understand why I want to come off of it as "it's an excellent antidepressant". It may be excellent for some but after two years on it, it clearly wasn't doing much for me!

So he sees no reason to try anything different, either start taking the venlafaxine again or continue as I am as I'm coping well without it... Ermmm, if I'm coping well, why have I been admitted to hospital???

They've taken me right off of it as of yesterday. So from 37.5 to nothing. Brain zaps, nausea, diarrhea, dizzy, I feel like I'm walking on black ice.

• Posted

Hi Lucy. Sorry to hear that you have been in hospital. Are you feeling better? I'm still on the 37.5 and every other day I'm on half. Every time I try to get onto lower dose, it makes me feel so tired and I know that's the start of the withdrawal . The tiredness becomes unbearable and my eyes feel strange. I'm currently on half my doseage of Bupropion and that's been fine. Anyway, I hope you are better soon? Xx

• Posted

I'm feeling better than I did on Monday, despite the withdrawals - at least in here I can just sleep through it.

It's interesting that you're on buproprion - I'm quite keen to try it... Might help me give up smoking too and it's supposed to be one of the better ones with regards to weigh gain.

Are you in the UK? How hard was it to get and do you think it's helped? xx

• Posted

hi Lucy. How are you feeling now? Yes I'm in the Uk, and I too wanted to try Bupropion. When I first started it, I felt great for the first 2 weeks, loads of energy. But it wore off quickly for me...as for the weight thing, I gained a stone. But I am older at 52, and I have only to look at a cake and I gain. It's that time of my life. However there is information out there that suggests others have had this same problem, people gaining over 20-30lbs on Bupropion...and I am usually careful with my food. It was easy for me to get, I have heard it can be difficult, and there were occasions when I took my prescription to the pharmacist to be advised it would have to be ordered. I am looking forward to coming off this one as well as the Venlafaxine..I really believe the Bupropion just wore off. Although my mood didn't lower dramatically, the energy soon left me which made me feel lower. I love being busy, to be able to do keep fit, play with grandchildren and do my work, maybe the odd coffee with a friend too. But just lately, my energy levels dipped so much, I really just had the energy to do one of those mentioned, and then would have to sleep for days to recover. I'm so fed up with that. Anyway, let me have your news. I hope you are on your way to recovery. All my love xx

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Julia.

I have asked about it but it turns out it interacts with one of the heart meds I'm on so it's not suitable. They've started me on Trazadone now. So far it's OK but makes me feel very groggy and spaced out - they use it also as a sleep aid at lower doses so I guess this is to be expected. They've said if the sleepiness doesn't wear off they can give me something else to counteract that...

Haven't had any venlafaxine withdrawals for 24 hours now which is great - so just three days of hell and I'm feeling OK again.

Still in hospital. They expect me to be in for another week or two but I'm hoping they'll let me go home for the weekend to cuddle my dog!

xx

• Posted

That will be the best medication ever!! I have 3 dogs, all Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, Shiloh, my oldest Blenheim of 8, Missy my Tri who is 6 and Waffle my Ruby who is 1. I know that without these 3 wonderful little fur balls, I would be dead. Cuddles from these dogs just help me so much. They sleep with me at night, snoring loudly and yet without their thunderous snores, I wouldn't sleep. I've just returned from a trip away, I literally pined for them. So I know the power of the doggie love!! It is immense. It is such a shame that your little dog couldn't stay with you in hospital...bet it would help. Glad you have had a better day. Are you in the U.K? Do you mind me asking how old you are? Do you have people/family visiting you? Please do not answer if you feel unable to, I can be a bit nosy. So, I've been back all of one day and I'm already hair pulling, procrastinating over work which has to be ready for Monday, sleeping heavily and today woke with a migraine. I've upped my dose to 37.5 again, the last two days I had taken 18.5. So here I go again. But, I have my 3 Furbabies sleeping beside me as I write to you. Sending positive thoughts and doggy kisses from my 3, get well quickly xx 

• Posted

Yes, I'm in the UK aged 48.

My husband visits at least once a day, my kids (aged 21 & 18) have visited a couple of times. And I've got friends coming in. My mum did bring Eddie in the other day and we were allowed to walk him around the local park. He's a chihuahua x pomeranian - the result of allowing my 15 year old (at the time) daughter chose a puppy! He's a real character and definitely believes he's a big dog!

It's OK in here, just really scary as the wards are set out according to where you live, not diagnosis/severity of symptoms. So there are some really scary characters on the ward.

Have you tried Omega-3 oil to help with withdrawal? I can't recommend it highly enough, the effect was amazing. I bought the 1200 strength one from Holland and Barrett - took 4 capsules in the morning and three more around 5pm. Not sure I could have done it without them xx

• Posted

I'm not seeing any positive effects from the Omega oils, and maybe I'm not taking enough. I will up the dose and see if that makes a difference. I should be working today but really struggling today. Couldn't do the shopping so have done it online, and still in bed. I keep falling asleep but it isn't a quality sleep. It's a deep sleep but not refreshing if you know what I mean. I wake up feeling exactly like I did before I slept. Like I'm desperate to sleep. I love the sound of Eddie! But how odd about the hospital you are in. Wards arranged by the area you live in? Is that usual practice? I've never been in but I have been asked to consider coming in for a while until meds settle. I've always refused, worried that I might never get out again and I couldn't bear to be without my dogs. They are still snoring away, although have been out for a walk with my friend. I'm glad you have people around you. My parents refuse to acknowledge my illness, seeing it as being lazy and I need to snap out of it! My daughter is 22, and a busy mum of 2 little girls, but she is always there for me. Anyway, off to find those Omega oils...email any time. I'm always around. Xx

• Posted

I've got dogs too and they're my salvation. They sleep beside me, when I'm suffering anxiety I need them near and they know it! One on my pillow another snuggles under my chin and the other lays against my back! Their breathing relaxes me, wouldn't want them sleeping anywhere else! X

• Posted

I understand that shirley. I have my 3 all snuggled up beside me, Shiloh, Missy and Waffle, my beautiful Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. They all snore but I couldn't sleep without their horrendous snoring. Having a very tearful morning so cuddling them all. My friend took them all out for a long walk this morning so they are sleepy and don't mind the tears ...Hang in there Shirley! 

• Posted

Seeing my Dr this week coming, the anger is terrible, snapping, impatience, shouting, headache and dizziness. Yesterday was awful, could have easily walked out of my home and jumped into the river. In the end I took a Diazepam, just felt weak for having to go down that road. Seem to beat myself up, really don't want to be hooked on Diazepam though, so am very careful with them. Definitely hanging in!😁x

• Posted

Thoughts are with you. Don't beat yourself up, we have to do what we have to do...make it a little easier to get through. Struggling so much myself this morning, heavy eyed but I'm going to get up and have a shower..AND then I'm going to see my brother who I haven't seen in months. With my doggies of course. Here if you need me xx

• Posted

Hi Julia, how is it going. Are you feeling any better? More energy? Reduced the yuk V? X Judy
    • Posted

Hi Judy. Hope you are good. I'm afraid I'm not good. I've cut to 18.5 on the Ven but my mood has lowered so much that I'm back in bed just sleeping. I'm supposed to be starting new meds but have to go for a liver function test first. I can't find the energy to do this. I'm completely off the Bupropion now. I've been asked to come off the Ven over the next month completely so I'm only allowed 18.5 a day. I understand why I have to do this but dread what's coming. At least I have my little dogs here to help me and a good supply of books and ice lollies. Julia 😥😥

• Posted

Hi Julia, I'm so sorry to hear that you are feeling rough again. You seem to have things in play to keep you occupied like your dogs and your books. I truly hope that you can find some peace and strength to eradicate V from your body and your life and that if given a new drug......I hope it is one that works for you and isn't so destructive as V.  If you can get thro the next few weeks no matter how you do it, then I am sure you can come off the V. If it means working at odd hours.....when you are able.....and resting or talking to others in the know....then you WILL do it. Be strong Julia and know that all here who correspond with each other are thinking of you, and willing you on.......GO JULIA GO! !!! Love Judy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.