Still suffering

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone. I haven't posted for a while. I had a cervical fusion operation a year ago (C5-6) and was absolutely fine (no pain whatsoever!) until I went on a plane journey followed by a coach journey and an uncomfortable bed last October. Since then I feel I am back to square one. Constant neck pain, pain down my arm (in my bicep and higher up). Just thoroughly miserable. Scans show that everything is fine and that the nerve is not being compressed. I can't drive and can't even sit upright in a car as my neck is so sore once I've got out of the car. Can't watch a film, can't type (using one hand for this). Does anyone out there have the same problems? Is it just me? I would just love to drive again and to sit as a passenger without pain! Any ideas or suggesions? I've tried physio, pilates, acupuncture... you name it. Help!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Brevis,

Wow! What an horrendous experience. I am not replying because I am experiencing the same as you, but because I may have, if I had had the courage to go with the fusion. In my case c4,5,6 and 7, but as I was only offered a 50/50 chance of success I didn't go through with it. You have my utmost sympathy that after going with it things have not worked out ,yet. Surely the Neurosurgeon must know what could be causing such misery, or ask your g.p. for different, stronger painkillers or refer you to a Pain clinic. No one likes to become reliant on painkilleers but you will only go into a deep depression if the pain cannot be sorted.

Best wishes,Mike

• Posted

Thank you for your sympathy Mike.  I have gone back to the Pain consultant and now have very strong painkillers which at least get me through the day. I'm not  a very big person, so all these tablets knock me sideways, but if I cut them in half I can tolerate them.  What's so frustrating is that the operation did seem to work,,, I had NO Pain for 3 months! I battle on...
  • Posted

Hi sorry to hear that your in pain again I have been offered fusion and a cage the neuro told me it would only stop arm pain but neck would still hurt the same and I would be ridged from the cage so at the moment I am persevering attending pain clinic having epidural a and food live quality is really bad ! I truly sympathise with you x
  • Posted

This bicep pain sounds radicular (nerve root compression) you may need to be re-scanned. MRI axial imaging could show compressed nerves. Sometimes radiculopathy can resolve itself but there are treatments available such as nerve root blocks etc. Im not trying to push this facebook group I belong to but it is amazing. It has over 640 myelopathic members at all different stages of their condition. Many still have problems following surgery. Surgery halts any progression of symptoms but it can deteriorate further. Why not take a look its called cervical myelopoathy support group, its the best thing I did. I don't thuink physio or exercise will help nereve root problems only aggravate it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.