Still swollen four months after tkr.

Posted , 9 users are following.

My knee is always swollen. I'm four months post knee replacement surgery and no matter what I try I cannot get the swelling to go down. It's always there, I'm not doing too much because I can't do much of anything. I ice, elevate, rest......

Is anyone else having similar difficulties or is there advice? I'm starting to think something is not right. I had PT for two months but lately can only do light stretches. I figure my bend is about 90+. Of course, it would be better if I could get the swelling to go down. Any help? I'm starting to get frustrated.

2 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Ozziegee, sorry for ur frustration. Been there. Had bilateral pkr 6 1/2months ago and left knee arthroscopy for bone spur. Right knee stays about 1/2 inch bigger and up ro 11/2inches swelling when on it all day. Left is 1" bigger up to 2 1/2" bigger by end of work day. Aches but i can still move. Movement is good as it helps muscles rtn blood flow. Try 5min intervals each hour and dont ice more than 10-15min at a time. The vasoconstriction slows bood flow. I know i have a year b4 i judge myself on outcome. I can flex right 137 and left 130. A little more 1st thing in am. I feel scar tissue trying to reform under the left knee cap and massage and force stretching in 30 to 60 sec intervals every few hours. Its helping wo the awful HIGH trauma level.

Stay strong. Keep trying. Hope u can bust the scars up.

AuntE G

• Posted

Yes, mine is the same it's also still tingling. I also ice and elevate my knee. Therapist said it's normal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.