Still tender in my lower stomach/pubic area

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All

I am 47 years old and had an issue with my prostate for about two years

I had TURP surgery on 28th April 2014 and a while under the surgeon carried out bladder neck resection and I've still got some discomfort in my pubic area, more so when I have trousers on with a belt. My stomach is also swollen and I have a pain in my lower back, I still can't urinate properly I find it easier to sit down and even then it's a very poor flow at times it's dribbles is this common or should I return to my consultant, I find it more comfy when I use a hot water bottle in my lower tummy area, any feedback would be appreciated.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Recovery after TURP can take anywhere from two to eight weeks. During the first few weeks after the operation, there may be a deterioration of some of the symptoms present before surgery. Frequency and urgency can take up to 6 months to settle. There may be some leakage of urine either at coughing or sneezing which is due to surgery—in this case, pelvic floor exercises help. If this continues to be a problem, then this should be addressed in the telephone follow-up. Generally, the longer you had the problem before you were treated, the longer your recovery time will be.

It is important not to overexert during the recovery phase, thus heavy lifting should be avoided. Short walks are safe. Mild sports such as swimming and golf may be resumed after 2 to 4 weeks or so, however anything more active should be totally avoided for up to 6 weeks.

If you feel that something is not right, call your GP who will have a detailed report about your operation.

Vincent.

• Posted

Vincent

thanks for your reply, I was starting to get a bit concerned that it was all in vain, I will give it another couple of weeks and if need be I will contact a doctor.

i have been walking short distances maybe half mile or so and intend to stretch it a wee bit at a time, I'm also a very keen golfer but I know within myself I'm not ready for that yet.

thanks again for your feedback

bobby

• Posted

This is why the Urolift procedure was invented, so men like bobby wouldn't have to go through what he's going through. Two to three days post procedure and you're back to your normal activities with no side effects, e.g. retrograde ejaculation, ED, diminished libido, months to heal and possible painful complications like bobby had.

Why the Urology community doesn't imbrace the Urolift seems to be purely monetary? Let's go guys, have some compassion for your patients!

• Posted

Replying to John 03161. I believe you may be absolutely correct about urolift but I found out after weeks of research that I my prostate was too large and had a third lobe, either of which disqualified me from the urolift procedure. I'm 75 and have had BPH for 35 yrs at least and i think that's the source of my problem. I do think, though that any BPH sufferer of any age or description should have the sonogram and cystoscope to determine if you are a candidate. As far a money is concerned, I can not determine that Medicare or any Insurance company is funding the procedure yet,  although they surely will eventually. I would gladly pay the $2500 fee out of pocket for the relief urolift promises and there are at least hundreds like me nationwide. I don't think we can blame the Doctors for that.     
    • Posted

Sorry to hear about your ineligibility for the Urolift. Apparently you are one of the few exceptions, or so they tell me, with either too large a prostate or a prostate with a median lobe. In defense of my monetary comment, two Urologists that I went to here in the States, had little or no information regarding the Urolift and couldn't advise me, despite the procedure being adopted and practised in Canada, Europe and Australia since 2010. You would think by now, in 2014, a compassionate option of this kind would have been quickly investigated and promoted. Why the slow adoption? Could there possibly be a financial factor involved? Nevertheless, for the millions of BPH sufferers out there, a more compassionate option is finally available, it just needs to penetrate the Urology BPH treatment status quo.
    • Posted

About urolift, I am told that it typically takes Medicare a year to two years to fund a new procedure after approval. Approval by the FDA was last September and Medicare approval occurred in March 2014.  I'm also told that Medicare supplement policies just follow Medicare guidelines.

Also, that one can fund the procedure out of pocket and appeal for payment from Medicare up to a year after the procedure. Private insurance companies can fund it sooner if they choose. I wouldn't expect it.  I know a very competent surgeon who has performed a couple dozen urolift procedures. He charges  a flat $2500 for all costs, hospital surgeon, anesthesia, etc. As I have said several times, I would have the procedure done in a heartbeat if I were a candidate. If anyone wants to know how to contact this surgeon, in Texas, let me know.  

• Posted

Hang in there. It took me a couple of months to recover from the Greenlight Laser Turp. People with other types of turps have reported the same.
  • Posted

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I will keep you posted on my progress

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.