Still unable to use ankle 7 weeks after surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello all. I had brostrom procedure and microfracture of talus 7 weeks ago. I have tried to start physical therapy and to walk with a walker. It doesn't hurt at the time, but a few hours later or the next morning it hurts. 

Did any of you have the same problem at this stage of  recovery? Did you keep walking and doing physical therapy anyway? Did  you improve or get worse?

Thank you so much. I'm getting so frustrated with this that I'm thinking of making some dramatic changes like moving temporarily into an assisted living facility so I don't have to cope with this on my own anymore. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I'm 19 weeks post op with a host of issues. I can't even do physio.

• Posted

I had 2 tendon grafts, a 3rd atfl reconstruction, and an internal brace installed. Oh, nevermind this was my 3rd surgery and my surgeon broke my lateral malleolus as well.
    • Posted

I am so sad to hear how difficult it has been for you. I hope you have supportive family and friends around to make it bearable. 
  • Posted

My surgeon in Los Angeles said I could do whatever I wanted to do after 12 weeks, so long as it didn’t hurt. He said that I am feeling pain I should stop. He Is the chairman of the foot and ankle clinic at Cedars-Sinai Hospital, and was chairman of the foot and ankle clinic at USC Keck Hospital. I travelled around the United States looking for the guy with the best reputation for complicated injuries and several doctors highly recommended him.  Don’t do anything if it hurts. You will know when you are ready 
    • Posted

Were you ultimately able to walk unassisted and without pain?
  • Posted

How is your recovery coming along?

I am supposed to get the very same procedure next week but am having doubts about it. I don't have obvious instability. Just impingement/pain in the ankle.

I have a torn ATFL and fibular avulsion fracture.

• Posted

It's been 3 1/2 months. I can walk in regular shoes with a walker slowly putting less weight on affected ankle. I can limp around my apartment without the walker. I did a lot of exercise Saturday on stationary bike in addition to regular physical therapy exercises and had more pain that usual on Sunday. Still take naproxen sodium every day.

My physical therapist thinks much of the difficulty is due to two months being immobile and my tendons shortening and joints stiffening. She thinks I should have started physical therapy when it was first prescribed two weeks after surgery. I didn't do it because my ankle felt so fragile and I had so much pain.

My recovery may not be similar to yours. In addition to the brostrom, I had a microfracture of the talus and repair to one tendon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.