Still using stick!

Posted , 10 users are following.

Am now 20 weeks po and I'm sure knee is feeling a little more comfortable and muscles are a bit stronger. However, although I'm ok at home without my stick, I still use it when out and about as I feel very vulnerable and cannot quickly "get out of the way" of people - but the support from my stick helps me move a bit quicker! Does anyone else feel like this, and still using their stick?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Pam

I totally agree.  I've just had to started using my stick again and I am at 11 months (waiting to go back into hospital to have excess internal scar tissue removed).  My consultant advised me to use it again, as I will be hurting my back otherwise, as my knee is so bent now.

I have also always felt that it gives you more confidence, if you feel a bit vulnerable, and warns oncoming people that you have a problem.

There will come a time when you will feel comfortable and safe without it though (my other knee is 2 years and 7 months old now).

Patsy

• Posted

Hi pam, I'm only 7 wks post TKR , I'm pottering round the house without sticks most of the time now but wouldn't go out without them as I find that they let other people know that I have a mobility problem. If people can't see your disability especially these days they can't knock into you without even thinking in their busy life. If you feel safer then use it, it's your health that matters don't worry what other people think
  • Posted

I stopped using my sticks at home after about a week but i used to take them when i went out in public. As the other posters say it does alert the public to you having a mobility problem and as such most give you a bit more space. If having the sticks gives you confidence than i can't see why it is a problem. You do whatever you need to do to feel better.
  • Posted

Hi Pam

I'm TNR 8wks post on my right and and TNR 7 mths TNR post on my left knee and like you ok at home with out a stick.  However, I'm not sue about goindg shopping with ther's a lot of people but might consider a fold down one.  I saw my surgeon on Friday and he said I don't need to use the crutches anymore.

I also have old back problem (left side) which seems to have re-surfaced again. Whether its due to trying to walk more upright I don't know but I sometimes feel like I'm 'waddling' again like a duck although I'm told I'm not. 

Has anyone else found an old back problem return after TNR?

So glad I found the website as it gives you a lot of advice from fellow TNR people.

Patricia

• Posted

Oh thank you so much to all of you!. I waited 11 years for my op (I'm now 56 and was considered too young before). For all that time I wore a knee support as my knee was very unstable and I wore it to enable me to lead a normal life and go to work. I constantly wore trousers or long clothes to hide the support although my hubby told me not to worry about folk seeing it - easier said than done for a woman lol! However, although op is a success, the knee support has done the job of my muscles so I've suffered with muscle wastage. At times I've felt all I've done is swapped a knee support for a stick, but I think (hope!) that things are finally coming together. Never in this world did I believe the journey I've been on, 5 months down the line, been off work since 20 March, how many times I think I've turned the corner and then found I haven't......oh my goodness it's a good job no-one tells you what it's going to be like. I can't tell you the times I've sobbed, ranted at hubby, the cat, the telly.......in fact anybody or anything!  Plus am menopausal as well.........bring it all on!! Oh what an experience!
    • Posted

Same as you Pam and I am 55 menopausal and 7 weeks post TKR. It is a hard road and there have been days when I have sat and cried and said i wish i could have my leg amputated and be done with it! And then i have a good day and i remember i can go on and things can get better so i'm just hanging in there. It's a tough old road we are but i think we will get there. :o)
    • Posted

Oh Tracey I remember that am 56 but 6 months post op and now much better most days. With regards to the stick I only use it when travelling abroad now - more to make other people aware and to avoid being knocked as still a bit tender and cant stand in long queues. Still use special assistace - tried without last time and it was terrrible trying to get down wet aircraft steps and ont a bus! But enough about me -  7 weeks is very early - its a rocky road but now I have turned a corner and I am sure things will get better and better as the weeks and months pass by and everything heals and strengthens 
    • Posted

me too Pam, I am 56..8 weeks (yesterday) post tkr. I still need to use my cane around the house due to muscle weakness in the quad and still take my walker out and about....rough pavement, crowds, etc ...just mades me feel more confident. I hope, soon, to gte back to normal as I build the muscle strength back up. I am finding, too, that by the end of the day the leg is swollen and sore, so obviously need to elevate and move those ankles more. Work wants me back Sept1 - but we'll see how I continue to manage. you are 100% right about the fact that ...had we only known the true extent of the journey ...not sure we would have had the surgery. Pretty sure I would not have.
  • Posted

Sound more like confidence and fear of being knocked or falling over. Start small. I was like you and think you will know in your own time when to let it go. I kept mine in the car when I first went out and now (6 months) I hardly touch it. Its just in case a lift doesnt work and there are a lot of steps. I went on holiday at 20 weeks and had to buy a stick at the ariport as I suddenly felt so vulnerable and i used it again a few weks ago. I am now almost 7 months and feel quite happy without the stick, good to have both hands back, so go with your instinct. I think it is when you feel your muscles are stronger, you are walking with no limp and the pain /tenderness is lessened plus your mind is returning to normal and not totally focussed on 'my knee'. Thsi is a long process. I still say 'mind nannys knee' all the time to the grandchildren as that fear and vulnerability is there plus a strong desire not to do any damage. But at 6 months now I know logically it should be like and do everything a normal knee should do and is no more likely to be damaged than my other knee! Old habits die hard. I also used my stick as a 'shield' to keep the space around my leg clear. But again dont do that any more. Dont worry - you will know when to let go and feel better for doing so. You could take a fold up stick in a rucksack or big handbag at first too . 
    • Posted

Caroline, I say exactly same thing to my 19 month old granddaughter! The feeling of vulnerability is totally alien to me -  I'm usually a get up and go person but blimey this has knocked me for six. Of all the things I expected I never expected this feeling of being scared of absolutely everything, some days stepping outside my own front door has filled me with dread! It's awful when the only thought that occupies your mind is your knee - it's a wonder I haven't gone insane some days......in fact I think I possibly have on more than one occasion....I've had quite a few meltdowns! Hopefully I'm now turning the corner.

This forum IS the best thing since sliced bread!

• Posted

Same here it's probably worse for people who are strong as I am. Hate not being 100 per cent. I used to cry after the gym because I couldn't do the exercise no matter how hard I tried but now I focus on everything I can do - still coming down stairs is a constant reminder first thing every day and that's my next goal now. Walk downstairs normally. All the things we took for granted. Acupuncture has been very good for me for the knee and the emotions
    • Posted

totally feel the same way ...I am used to being the one that does all the physical stuff around the house as my husband has health issues of his own. I can SO relate to feeling scared of going outside and encountering obstacles .... for a while every decision of where to go was based on how many steps, inclines, handrails were involved. It sounds like it gets better...... and I drove my car for the first time today (after 8 weeks) ...how do you spell FREEDOM .... ?? smile so, yes, will concentrate on the things I can do for now and not what I can't. my PT said to me yesterday - hey, do you realize that you are not supporting your leg with the good one anymore (when you lift or lower it) ... hadn't even noticed smile
  • Posted

I dont use mine anymore cos im now 6 months post op but I used it for ages outside mainly to stop stupid folks banging my leg so I say use it til you feel completely safe and steady x
    • Posted

And safe and steady I'm not! Some days I feel like I could just fall over if someone just blew on me. Other days I seem to have lost any strength I ever had in both my legs. Av just returned from supermarket shopping trip with hubby, I pushed trolley but didn't have any strength to turn it at end of aisles and by time we got to checkout my legs felt on fire and I had to sit down whilst hubby packed and paid. Oh how I wish to do the simple things that I once took for granted!.  Certain fact is I wont take anything for granted EVER again! Now, where's my ice pack..........

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.