Still using two crutches at 8 was post op !

Posted , 8 users are following.

hi.. I have had n physio other than the day I left hospital... was given a shee of exercises to do at home... been struggling with them so went to a private physio who was shocked I had not had any guidance after surgery... anyway.. He spent an hour with me.. Some workout! wish I had gone weeks ago.. He is confident he will get me off these crutches soon. I am walking better and more  confidently after just one session.... i would definitely rerecommend anyone who is not given any physio.. to make at least one visit to a private one... or organise through your gp.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

So wrong that the hospital didn't provide you with post op physio. You're very wise to see one privately. I think it's the only way to get through this recovery with any chance of success. It's finding a good one that might be difficult though. Someone at my knee class saw someone privately as well who just told her her muscles were tight and put some heat on her leg! To be fair, maybe she told her she was still under the hospital physio and didn't want to interfere, I don't know. Anyway, sounds like you've found a good one. Hope you come on in leaps and bounds (pun intented 😄😄 ) Jen 
  • Posted

i remember being shocked too when you said you had had no physio. i know this is going from the ridiculous to the sublime, but i get to go 3 times a week so you can imagine my incredulity. but i am thinking your situation is rare, surely? why spend so much money on surgery and then not invest chump change in physio? sometimes i don't understand the system in the uk at all.

glad he gave you a good workout and if you can afford it, keep going, it makes so much difference. after all, you want to have better mobility after the operation, not worse :-(

i am now 7 weeks post op and am walking with one stick, but really could be walking without any crutches i realized today. as i am going back into hospital next week, i will just stick with one and will need both again next week.

• Posted

Hi Mary, I'm glad you.ve finally had a breakthrough. Thank goodness you found a good physio. Can't believe you had to pay though. 
    • Posted

Living in the US, we don't have your govt paid insurance....we have some at age 65 but we still pay some copays...and the very very poor can go to another level for some healing.....

But all in all the US does some thorough work and OFTEN I do a lot of my healing out of the box thinking....and I'm not a rich person.  but my health is #1.   My priorities are so changed as I get older and things in the body break down.....right now I'm working on alternatives to NOT do a knee surgery.....

glad you finally got some help...and I'm sure it's worth every penny you had to pay on your own....

• Posted

Having worked as a physio in the system many years ago I can only hope you fell out the net. If you contacted the orthopaedic department I'm sure they would feed you into the hospital system. It is bad not to have the physio as it is a necessary evil to getting back you full function. Good Luck
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply...... I have been to see a private physio who has already got me walking with one crutch.... none inside house!... I am standing longer.. can get up from sitting to standing a lot better now... All this afte just a  one hour   long session.!... I'm going back next week... will just stick with him I think.... 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.