Still waiting for THR but legs feel like lead

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, my first hip replacement will be around October to December. I am well over 70 & I am always in pain but I've stopped the morphine patches I was on due to severe constipation. And I mean severe. However my legs are starting to feel more and more leaden. So heavy. I'm quite a slight person and carry no extra weight but I feel like my legs weigh tons when i walk.  Has anyone else experienced this because quite frankly I'm starting to get worried when it takes me about 10 minutes to walk the distance it used to take me in 1. This isn't through being in pain. It's just the whole process of walking!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Dear Sarah

I'm sorry to hear what you having to deal with whilst waiting for your hip surgery. It's bad enough having to wait without this.

All that I can offer apart of course from my good wishes is to keep up as much exercise as you can because as I expect you have gathered being as fit as possible will help you with a quick good recovery.

Best wishes to you.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

HI Sarah

So sorry to hear you are struggling. Have you spoken to your GP about this? The heavy legs/lack of energy may well be something they can help you with that's unrelated to your upcoming hip replacement.

Take care,

sjhips

• Posted

Sarah, I always walked fast everywhere I went. But now my hips are so stiff that it takes more effort to move. Could it be the stiffness and poor range of motion that is making you feel as though your legs are heavier?
  • Posted

Hi Sarah,

I just had to respond to your post because I have been experiencing the same exact thing as you! My THR will be early fall (September or October) but for at least a year now, my legs feel so heavy whether its on a daily walk or walking around the house, it feels like I'm walking up hill! It leaves me so tired and often times I can get quite depressed about it.

I have been relating it to my hip, thinking it goes along with all the other issues of immobility. I do hope that once the THR is over, I will feel "normal" again and be able to walk with ease!

I hope for both our sakes, the leaden legs is all related to our bad hip! Good luck to you Sarah.

Betty

• Posted

Well Betty you and I seem to be the only two people suffering with this so I'm going to ask my GP's opinion as it's so terrbly draining. I don't drive  - never had a car in my life. All my life I have walked everywhere. Not just walked but walked with purpose/speed. So many people expressed surprise when they saw me in a mobility scooter as they had all assumed I would be one of the last people they expected to need one. Ever.

I have absolutely no muscle strength in my thighs at all. Why this is I dont know having walked everywhere throughout my life.. My weight is perfect for my height and I eat healthily. Last night really scared me. I couldn't even brush my teeth because I could no longer drag my two leaden legs around even into the bathroom. They just seemed to be screaming "no more, no more". I keep stubbing my toes because my feet never seem to lift off the groung. Like most hippies I have to physically lift my bag leg up. It wont lift of its own accord.I've accepted that. When I was youunger I used ankle weights on walks and that is EXACTLY how my legs feel now. It takes all my strength to walk across my lounge. No pain, just heavy leaden legs sad   ;(

• Posted

I'm pretty sure that it is lack of range of motion causing this problem. I took my dog for a short walk this morning. I had to take small steps and it was an effort to move one leg after the other. My surgery is August 22, but that will only fix one hip. Both of mine need replacement.

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

I've done some googling about "heavy legs" and found that if it is not just caused from a heavy work out or some other common reason, then one should definetly see a doctor as it could be vascular disease.

I've been associating everything thats wrong with me to my osteoarthritis, especially in my hips, but I am calling my doctor today to make an appointment, as like you, I'm getting scared and worried.

Please keep in touch Sarah and let us know how you are doing. I'll let you know what I find out as well.

Betty

• Posted

OMG. Vascular disease never crossed my mind....now I think of it my feet and lower legs do get swollen/puffy when I sit for a long time but when i get out of bed in the morning they're slim again.

Yes Betty I will definitely let you know what my doctor thinks on Friday. Thank goodness I made the appointment!

• Posted

Hi Anne have you read Betty's reply below? I'm seeing my GP on Friday.

• Posted

Sarah, yes I saw Betty's reply. I will look for what your doctor tells you.

• Posted

hi sarah, 

I read your post and the discussion following - definitely make an appointment with your doctor and have other things checked -

eventhough heavy legs might be related to bad hips, you want to rule out other things ... 

In a previous post you mentioned that you had a cortisone shot (June) ..

just saying ...

what a great forum, right ?

please keep us posted about how you are doing .. same for Anne and Betty =

sending love, light and peace of mind

big warm hug

renee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.