still worried at 6 months post op

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi, Hip friends.

Today I am having a follow-up at 6  months post op with my surgeon because on continuing issues.    I am still worried because I need to have Left hip replacement on my opposite leg and am still not sure that

everything is working properly with my operative leg and won't proceed until Im sure.

So here's the thing.  At 6 months most op, my right side operative leg still has many issues.  First, I still have continuing groin pain especially when I do a little more extensive walking on my operative leg.  I get groin pain even when I carry a small pocketbook on that side.  My thigh still feels tight and refuses to loosen.  I have a hard, knot sensation of pain when I do any of my exercises just below my groin in the beginning of my upper thigh making exercise very uncomfortable.  When I bend my knee, despite my surgeon telling my x-rays of my right knee is normal, and if I bend my knee up towards my chest just a little past 90 degrees, I still experience extreme stiffness in all of my thigh, and even my calf muscle. Exercycling causes pain in the top part of my thigh just below my groin and I feel no incentive to exercise.

I don't know what's normal anymore.  I wonder if an MRI would give me more information if there's something wrong. Can they MRI my entire thigh from groin to knee when I have a metal devise???   I feel like I have not recovered properly and my surgeon just keeps po po'ing me and telling me I need to take a drug that was pulled off the market for being dangerous - - celebrex when I have a history of heart disease with almost all of my family and I'd prefer to aire on the side of caution.

I'm so depressed that my surgery has failed in many ways and may have to do it again..      What could be wrong?

Is there anyone out there with any of these issues at this later stage of recovery?  Would appreciate any comments today before I see the surgeon to compare with others.  Thank you all

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi susan, 

I am so sorry about what you are going  through at the moment -

In a way I understand  how you feel - I had my 1st THR surgery and initially I thought it went well - no OA pain ,just discomfort and stiffness - 3 weeks post-op I started to get pain in my groin, similar (I thought) as pre-op - 

That is when I found this forum - received a lot of support and information which I discussed with my physical therapist - they don't like  that - 

around 6 weeks post-op the new xray showed that other hip's cartilage had gone from mild to severe loss, bone-on-bone and also needed the HR surgery -

Susan, from that moment on, the following months w spent in agony - -

my brand new hip had to support the other rapidly declining hip - so in essence, healing could not take place - at least not fully -

the pains you describe fit my experience - PT told me to increase exercises and stationary bike up to a point that I could not move anymore - 

(unfortunately I had to move houses !!!)

at 6 months appointment the 2nd THR was scheduled - pain gone and finally had the feeling that my body could really start the healing process - 

what I am trying to say is that your new hip is not  able to recover properly right now - if possible and when you  are up to it, have the other hip done ... 

oh, and my surgeon also prescribed Celebrex .... no pain medication will help anymore --

I just saw that you have seen your doctor ....please let us know howit went ...

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

I have similar issues although not the same. But the groin pain and knotted feeling are tendinitis of the psoas. Totally recoverable, but lengthier than we would like. I am an imPatient patient and am having a difficult time "laying low"

• Posted

Susan I feel your pain. I had my first surgery July 18 3 weeks later I find out I dislocated my hip. 2 days later I had a hip revision. 6 weeks non weight bearing. What a difficult time. I've been 5 weeks weight bearing now and just started out patient therapy. I have had groin pain. I feel like a band is around my up thigh. I have bursitis and tendinitis. Therapist says it's all fixable but it's going to take time. I have a significant limp but they say it's due to weakness of hip muscles. I have pain at outer thigh therapist says it's IT BAND. I'm very tight in my thigh too. It's all a work in progress. But it's so discouraging at times. I'm still crying and depressed. But I have to persevere but it's not easy. I pray that you will get better soon!!! LD.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.