Still worrying

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

I'm very worried about pancreatic cancer, I've had symptoms that started last year which worried me and here I am again in a state of panic.

I have numerous visits to my gp all saying I'm fine, numerous blood tests that always come back fine.

I have seen consultant gastro, who asked me about symptoms and said it sounded like Ibs referred me for an abdominal ultrasound. I had this three weeks ago, and had consultant radiologist perform the scan, he asked what I was concerned about and told him what I was worried about. He paid particular attention to my pancreas, liver, spleen and kidneys, saying he had a clear view of pancreas and it was all ok. So moving on I have had some stomach issues, bowel move ments have been erratic and I had to do a stool sample which came back slightly elevated for calprotectin. This is unlike me so am worried as bowel changes can be linked to PC. My stools haven't been right for 4 weeks now, no change in colour, not oily but just loose. My Dr won't refer me for any other scans as they don't see the need to.

I haven't lost lots of weight, just a few pounds in last month.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

What was your calprotectin result? I'm having problems with diarrhoea. I have had it since Christmas but I have pale stools and also fatty stools. My GP ran bloods that all came back fine. They kept saying ibs but my fecal calprotectin test came back at 90 so I've been referred to the gastro now. It's been weeks and I've still not had an appointment through. I'm living on imodium at the minute. I take it daily. I get a little pain on my left side but it's mild and not all the time. I'm like you and stressing about my pancreas. Have you tried cutting out certain foods to see if that helps? Have you been diagnosed with ibs? I get that but this time it's different and I've never had pale, fatty stools before.

• Posted

Hi sezza

I dont know what calprotectin level was, Dr just said slightly elevated!! I do think it has to do with IBS though, as that's why they do calprotectin test .

I've seen dr today and he has referred me to have a colonscopy to see if anything shows, and had camera up today and there are internal piles, Dr seems to think its colitis though. I get an occasional pain on left side too, not all the time though.

I hope you don't have to wait too long for gastro appt.

• Posted

I had a colonoscopy a few years back as I was passing bloody mucus. The lady doing the camera said a part looked inflamed but biopsy came back negative. It feels like forever waiting. Sick of it now. They usually do the fecal calprotectin test to rule out ibs if it comes back high. My GP said it's not ibs with having the higher levels. Have a look in the ibd forum. Some good info there. There is a colitis forum too. The colonoscopy is fine, I didn't find it painful just uncomfortable. The prep is the worst part but I guess we should be used to all the diarrhoea! Hope you get some answers.

• Posted

Your anxiety can make whatever symptoms you have worst.  Your Drs have found nothing.  If you had PC they would know with all the tests you’ve had. 

Stay off line, stop researching your symptoms.   You have followed the necessary procedures with your tests. 

You obviously don’t have PC.  Take care of yourself or your sorry will bring new issues.  

Good luck. 

• Posted

Dear Isobel91640,

Being worried and scared about serious health issues is just grueling and so stressful.  I'm sorry. 

Can I ask why you are so convinced about it being cancer, when your tests are okay, and your doctor is confident you are ok? He's so sure in fact, that he doesn't even want to bother with a referral. If he had any doubts he would refer you. 

Why doesn't this keep you assured at all? Do you have a family history of it?

What can we do to help reassure you. I don't want to speak for anyone, but I'm sure Nobody here wants to see you so distressed. Let us know. 

Feel better,

Sonya

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.