Stinging in eye after cataract surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just had cataract surgery in my second eye done and I am having stinging in that eye.  I am using Refresh tears drops along with the drops prescribed by the doc

.  Has anyone had problems with stinging/burning sensaton in eye?  How long will it last?  What causes this?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Pam - the antibiotic and anti-inflammatory drops do sting.  Usually lasts less than a minute.  It is an open incision so I imagine that is normal.  Also make sure you wait min of 5 minutes between 2 drops.   Is your vision good?

If it is burning and stinging prolonged periods you should consult the doctor. 

• Posted

I had stinging in my eye with both cataract surgeries but it lasted  only a day. It felt like there was glass in my eye whenever I blinked. The first eye felt irritated for about 3 weeks but with my second eye, after that first day, it feels normal. 
    • Posted

I have just had one eye done - interesting that one can have different side effects.  My first eye stung with drops for a day or two but yes it did feel like I had an eyelash stuck in my eye for about 3 weeks.  Hard to resist temptation to touch eye.  I wore the eyeshield at night for 2 weeks afraid of that!

Round 2 for surgery next week.

• Posted

Hi Pam.  I had this problem too.  It was from the anti bacteria drops causing an allergic reaction.  I switched that drop and went away in a few hours.

S

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.