Stinging pain in ribs

Posted , 4 users are following.

Okay so has stabbing pains in chest on and off started year ago then started getting ache like a bruised sensation when pressing on rib just left of centre of breasts never painful but tender, dr said mane costo I am now getting stinging type sensation on ribs but it is isolated mine does not radiate also if laying on side sternum feels tight and have to move then it remains tight for a short while, had the pressure in chest at start but not so much now does this sound like costo

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi dee. yes it does sound like costC.. however, it's important that your Primary Health Care Provider  rules out other causes such as acute  cardiac related conditions - just in case. 

simply put, costoC is inflammation of  the costal cartilage, the structure that connects each rib to the sternum at the costosternal joint. the pain seems to vary in severity & expression from person to person.   for me the pain was a very  severe burning pain worse on lying down.  it felt like was having a heart attack. i've had it for 5 years. during that time it'd got markedly worse to the point i was almost unable to move.

the standard anti-inflammatory medicines (Ibrufen/Naproxen etc) did absolutely nothingfor me, but genrally helps people.  i think that's why the Medics missed it. recently, i moved house and a new Doc. diagnosed it straight away.  she explained that i had widespread inflammation in that area and commenced me on a 'neuro-pathic' analgesic called 'Nortripline' 10mg at night.  it can cause drowsiness. it's worked like a treat.  

C

• Posted

Thank you for your reply, dr always says heart is fine when listening and lungs always clear, having vit d and b12 test next week I do get in my arm too not pain again feels bruised and radiates to fingers thinking nerve maybe others seem to get it in the arm too not painful just don't like not knowing for sure x
    • Posted

Hi dee. glad to hear  that Doc has taken the elimination of more serious  conditions approach. think it's a good idea to have the Vit D & b12 checked out. i'd also include Folate levels as b12 & Folate work together. if one's low the other won't work. for b12 deficiency symptoms, do have a look at 'HealthUnlocked'  in the (Pernicous Anaemia) PAS section or and the Pernicous Anaemia Society website. 

c

• Posted

Hi, glad that the heart and lungs are OK and I agree it's Costo. Now, costo can manifest in so many different ways and still be it. I have ugly swellings as well and the it is called Tietze's syndrome but it is still the same pain, the same tenderness and unexpected behaviour. Some people say that there are more differences between the two, that they affect different ribs. Well, in that case I have both... Be sure, it might act differently from day to day, but it's still the same nuisance.
    • Posted

not had proper tests, dr just listened to heart and lungs said sound great and dont suffer high blood pressure, blood pressure is always good x 
  • Posted

Hi sounds like what I have.  Had all sorts of heart checks all come back ok, nil heart disease at 56 so happy with that, just constant chest pain, I have stinging between breasts on sternum and if I press across chest is tender, also pain under left arm and sorry TMI but if I lift my boobs up along where the bra lies that is agony.  Am stuggling with what to do for pain relief as I cannot take any kind of anti imflammatory.  Do you notice your heart beating sometimes as well as this happens to me and feels freaky.
    • Posted

Yes had palpatations when it first started not now though as think it was anxiety from the stabbing pains I had, I am not in pain just slight ache when pressing left of centre of breasts, so no need for painkillers but don't like how it feels also get arm ache down to fingers so getting vit d and b12 test next week, felt chest pressure at start of this but not so much now just the ribs and arm x
    • Posted

Hi youngatheart. i also had severe palpitations, but i'm sure it wasn't to do with anxiety. i didn't feel anxious, just exhausted from the lack of sleep. i think the heart muscle is indirectly  irritated by the CostoC. my GP started me on Nortriptyline 10 mgs with almost an immediate response. it's a neuropathic analgesic. it was used in the past as an antidepressant & for insomnia.  my Doc said it was betterthan Amytriptyline, commonly used for neuropathic pain & Fibromyalgia

C

• Posted

Is the pain when lifting boob part of costo I am feeling that now x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.