Stitch abscess and beck of knee pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

hello everyone I had my TKR on 20 Jan so am looking forward to feeling normal again, but have been plagued with dreadful pain upon standing up at the back of the knee for a few mins before I can set off and had 2 stitch abscess along the scar.  Got rid of one and have another one I'm due to go back to the nurse on Tuesday. 2 lots of strong antibiotics - doc doesn't think it's anything serious jut superficial and probably some internal stitchs on the move.  I didn't have any of this with the right  knee, but I'm so tired of this performance now! The, rant over.  Happy bank holiday to you! 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

So sorry for your problems. Had my TKR Feb 16 and just now seemed to turn a corner. I still ice at night most nights and wake up with the days swelling down. Still stiff and have pain but got a blood test early this week and it's negative for infection. Hang in there!!! Every day is closer to the new "normal"!

• Posted

Thanks Karen. I'd forgotten how long and hard this journey is. Hey ho onwards and upwards eh. X

• Posted

I had my surgery February and still have pain when I've been sitting. Still icing not elevating much though. It seems like the last couple of days the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel has appeared. Getting up there is no pain and walking feels normal. Yay👏👏

My doctor says 1 year, remember 1 year. I figure I have 9 months left and I'll give birth to a new knee. 😀

• Posted

Me too February 16 was my surgery. Think I turned a corner this week. Are you still doing PT!!!
    • Posted

No. Our Medicare insurance will only allow $1500/yr. I was at $1000 and my pt wanted to save some money in case I needed adjustment. I was only at 98 bend. I'm having a hard time getting to 115 but my doc says don't worry. Still swollen. I see him in June. I don't want the adjustment but what is.....is.

• Posted

I'm still doing physio at the pool and at home but have had to stop pool because of abscess. Such a nuisance. 

• Posted

I had my TKR on April 11 and had a reaction to the dissolving sutures and got an infection on May 12 and had to have surgery on May 16. They had to remove the dissolving sutures under the skin. I ended up with a total of six
    • Posted

Oh so sorry. That's terrible after all you went through with the surgery.

• Posted

Stitches put in. (Sorry sent to soon) the wound has now healed a second time. They said that because the sutures are covered in a waxy film and people seem to have trouble dissolving them and that can in some people this can cause an reaction to them.

• Posted

Oh gosh I hope I don't have to have more surgery. I will let you know how it goes. The first one was all good. This one seems to be problematic. 

• Posted

I hope you don't either. I'm praying nobody has to go through it either. They need to come up with better sutures so that this does not happen to anyone. I am so proud of the progress that you have done you are an inspiration to a lot of us. I'm sure your going to be alright and continue on the road to recovery with no more obstacles in your way. Good luck and God bless.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.