Stitch inside at 13 weeks

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am now 13 weeks post op from A&P vagina repair and hysterectomy and feel pretty much back to normal now. 

I went for my post op check up today and everything is good..healing nicely and no bulges.    I have one very long stitch way up inside which only now and again I can feel just a tiny prickle but it doesn't bother me in the slightest.  The assistant to my surgeon said she didn't want to pull it and that it would dissolve in time and it would be a long purple stitch.  She was happy with the healing and so was I.     However, my  cousin mentioned to me that she was surprised I still had a stitch or even stitches still inside as hers were all dissolved at 6 weeks.     

I have no no idea about such things but my personal opinion is that the longer they stay in the better, especially the good strong ones,  but  that's just me.   

What is the norm? 

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Carole,

I'm 16 weeks, and some days I can feel a stitch poking.

On this site I've heard others say as much as 12 months. For the deep tissue ones.

I'm with you the longer the better, give things time to strengthen up.

• Posted

Hi carole,

So pleased to hear that everything is healing well and that you are on the road to a good recovery.

Please do not rush out and overdo things, it is very tempting but please remember that it takes many months for deeper tissues to heal properly and you still have to be very careful for a few more months.

It is so good to reach the 3 months post op and feel just about back to normal. I went Bach to my work around then and looking back now wish I had taken longer off. When your resting and taking it easy you feel much better but when you are stretched to your limit and overdoing things and can't get a seat or break it's a different story and I'm sure my healing went back the way.

I know I'm definitely not as far a long the recovery path this time at 9 months post op as I was the first time. So please be very careful.

Anyway great news all is going well and long may that continue.

Phyl x💖

• Posted

Phyl, very sensible and welcome advice.  Thankyou.       I won't overdo things as this forum had taught me otherwise 😁     We have a long haul flight in February and I have even booked a wheelchair because of the very long walks both ends to the plane and standing in passport queues!   Although I feel a bit hypocritical doing this, I am not going to take chances.     

• Posted

That's actually a great idea carole, it can take a good few hours getting from airport door to plane seat and if plane running late even longer, and their is no guarantee that you will get a seat.

Hope all goes well and you have a good flight.

Phyl x?

• Posted

Hi Carole. I had a post surgery check up last week at my 6th week. I definitely have my stiches inside. The surgeon said that it would take up to 5 months to dissolve and there is nothing I can do. I agree with you it's good to have strong stiches.

I'm glad that you feel back to normal. I have no pain but still need lots of rest.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply, glad your healing well I was told stitches can take up to 3/5 months in some cases so not to be shocked if still seeing them.

I just need to let my body heal 👍

• Posted

Hi Carole

Let the stitches be, they will dissolve when they are ready, dont be in a rush to hurry your recuperation (even though it is tempting)

Good luck with your continued progress!

S

• Posted

It's perfectly normal to have sutures at 16 weeks. The longer they are there the better you will heal. It would only be the small stitches that dissolve at around 6 weeks and most of the time we never see or are aware of any of the deeper stitches because they can only be felt on examination so your cousin may well have had sutures in situ after 6 weeks. It's also common not to see them when they dissolve.

• Posted

Thankyou to everyone who replied.......I do feel better for hearing this.

take care all of you and don't overdo things over Christmas.    Shop online where you can as well 😉??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.