Stitch reactions along TKP incision

Posted , 3 users are following.

Wonder if I'm the only one who had several sore spots along my incision line. I'm 6 weeks out and was bugged that these spots wouldn't heal. Since I'm several hours from my doctor's office, I sort of overstepped my bounds and took matters into my own hands. Pulled gently on the end of a black spot in the sore area and pulled out about 2/3 inch stitch that was left over. The other spot was worst and broke open during ROM exercise. Again, I spotted the end of a stitch and slowly pulled it out. Relief! Areas are healing nicely. This has to be a somewhat common occurrence. Evidently, all inside stitches don't dissolve on their own. Anyone else

have this problem?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes this happened to me at the bottom of scar area, Stich knot about an inch long, turned into abscess but ok now. Once out healed nicely. I'm 5 weeks post opp

• Posted

Hi Gail,

Hadn't seen anyone talk about this. Glad that you are healing well. How's the flexibility going?

• Posted

Hi,

Bend now 115, and leg Straight.

Walking around house without crutches, can go up stairs using both legs, can straight leg lift, quads are getting stronger.

I set an alarm on my phone every time I sit in my chair for an hour, so I can get up and walk around.

Still a lot of pain and swelling, use ice for 20 minutes every 3/4 hours, also a Tens machine.

My other leg has had 15 surgeries over the last 30 years, due to a RTA. So doesn't work as well. But this has been far more painful, unless my mind is playing tricks with me🙄

How are you getting on?

• Posted

Hi,

Going along pretty well. At 120 bend and 4 or 5 straight (hardest for me than bending). Ice 2 or 3 times per day and do the exercises 2 or 3 times at day. At the end of PT so will be on my own. Still have soreness, Aleve twice a day, off the heavy stuff. Seems like recovery is going faster now but still sore.

• Posted

Not uncommon. I always preferred to let a med professional do it just because of the possibility of infection. Just be sure and clean with alcohol and cover with sterile gauze till healed. One of my last 2 or 3 surgeries I had one of the closure stitches that was stuck (healed over) in the wound and the surgeon had to go in a little more aggresivly and snip it out. I've always used Vitamin E oil, massaged in deep twice a day to help heal both internally and externally. Just wait till there is no drainage.

• Posted

After I pulled the stitches out, I soaked with hydrogen peroxide and covered with neosporin and gauze. All healed now. I've been using 30,000 I.U. Cream on the scar and mild massage. I tend to scar but it looks like it is diminishing week by week.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.