Stitch removal for Lapidus Bunionectomy

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a bunionectomy 2 weeks ago. I have been non weight bearing these two weeks (knee scooter is heaven) stitches are supposed to come out tomorrow. I have never had stitches removed, what am I to expect? Does it hurt to have them removed? Wondering how long I will be non weight bearing? Any input is appreciated!

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I meant to say any input on your own experiences with when you started weight bearing
  • Posted

Hi Annie!  If your foot is healing well enough, your stitches will be removed.  I am assuming you are in a splint.  After my stitches came out, I was put in to a plaster cast for a month.  Removal of the stitches does not hurt---it just feels funny because some parts of those areas are still numb and some are just starting to have feeling.  It is a very quick process.  If you do get put into a cast, the cast feels absolutely wonderful---your foot feels supported and very safe.  After the cast, I went into a boot for a month (and then you can begin pt--if your doctor says that is ok).  After the boot, are good, supportive sneakers!!!  I was weight bearing once I was out of the plaster cast.  Hope that helps!  Tami
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply. I had the splint removed last week, now just gauze and an ace bandage. I already have the boot (stress fracture ms in the same foot 2 months ago) and the dr. Told me to bring it for next appt. The assistant said heel walking? Wondering if that will start now? I guess I will find out tomorrow.
    • Posted

Yeah he should tell you that you can now shower and walk around with the boot. 
  • Posted

Just saw your second post---weight bearing was slow.  Just expect to take it slow.  Your brain will be telling your foot what to do but it takes a while for your foot to completely "wake up"---for the connections to reconnect.  Be careful and really take your time.  You are going to find that you will be exhausted after walking a short distance.  It takes a good few weeks to build your stamina back up.  You are going to have to rest quite a bit and keep your feet up to aide the swelling.  Extra strength tylenol is what my ortho had me take once my prescription meds were finished.  Check in with your surgeon about that.  Be very careful with stairs.  Take really good care of yourself!

• Posted

Thank you for your advice. My Dr. advised me to take 2 months off from work and that is what I did. So I do have the time to take it slow. My Dr. Has said I shouldn’t need the pain meds anymore and I have been doing fine with just Tylenol  once a day.
  • Posted

It doesn’t really hurt. Some of them kind of pinch a bit. It’s the scabs around them that make it more annoying. It’s a sensitive area. I usually squeeze my foot through the whole process 😂

• Posted

I had dissolving stitches didn’t know till I went to see my local dr (surgeon 4 hrs away ) healing can take up to 12 or more months keep it up after boot off then start doing excercises good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.