stitches feel like they’re pulling

Posted , 5 users are following.

so when i sleep i move around a lot, i only had my ankle surgery 2 weeks ago & still have my stitches in, and the backslab and bandaging. i my my leg a lot of different ways to try and get comfortable and it makes my stitches feel like they’re pulling, itchy, annoying. etc. is this normal? i hopefully get them out on wednesday and an actual cast or moon boot put on

thanks in advance smile 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Yes I had the exact same issue as you - i only just took my stitches out last week and in the moon boot now. 

But before that I was in the back slab for 3 weeks and the stitches were rubbing against it, and pulling, and also it was very uncomfortable to sleep with. 

This is normal, and it will be better once you take it off. Just try not to move your leg alot. 

I did take a lot of fish oil and also vitamin A, and E and i felt it made it less itchy (the itchiness is probably due to the dry skin not being naturally exfoliated due to the back slab)

• Posted

oh okay i was starting to worry a little. i only get up to go to the toilet or venture out onto the lounge room from time to time, in my wheelchair. i move my leg only to get in comfortable, it’s always elevated on a stack of pillows. when you had your stitches out & boot put on what was the pain like? i am very nervous. i’ve never had stitches before, other then when i gave birth and those were dissolvable ones

• Posted

Also, when the slab was put on post surgery, your leg and ankle would've been quite swollen. Now that it has been 2 weeks the swelling would have gone down, hence your cast would be slightly looser, which means it can potentially shift more which then impacts the rubbing against the stitches - which is normal.

For me personally, the day that the stitches came out, it was painful afterwards, as the skin has been tugged. I did feel quite alot of burning and stinging the whole night - so i had to take a painkiller and felt better

however this pain only lasts a day - and is normal so as long as you are prepped for this pain - make sure you have some pain killers. 

• Posted

Hi Tahlia I would suggest that before they pull the stitches that you take your pain killer. Like you I've never had stiches before soooooooo it felt like pin pricks until they got to one that was a little more embedded than the others. The nurse tried to joke that I had four kids so that shouldn't hurt but I let her know that I was sleep all four times soooooooo lol. It will be alright. Blessings always 😇

• Posted

Hi, my operation was 10 days ago. Forva lot of time I do not have pain but every now and again I have strange and painful sensations/pain which feel like burning, stinging, something crawling etc. I can see that my backslab is not so tight so it must rub my stitches. I am pretty sure that all this is normal. I try to move as much as I can hopping on my good leg using a zimmer frame but it is tiring.

I, too, get nervous about the next step and what it might feel like. So, let us be optimistic even if it is not always easy. 🌾

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.