Stitches, staples, etc

Posted , 14 users are following.

Morning hippies! And hippies to be!

Happy Friday everyone!

11 days and counting before my op! Eek!

Talking to some friends at work and one asked how long my staples etc would be in for? And my answer?? I haven't a clue!! I never asked my consultant!

How long is it before they come out?

Hope you all have a good weekend!

Linzi x

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had stitches out after 10 days.  I only had 2 proper stitches one at the top and one at the bottom of the wound.  Inbetween was a running disolving stitch which I must say has left a very neat scar.  I am 6 1/2 wks post op and seeing my consultant tonight, so hoping to get the all clear to drive !!!

Good luck with your op and I am sure you wont find it as bad as you imagine, think we always think the worst, but I was pleasantly surprised that the pain was nowhere near as bad as I thought, etc.

Take care

Nadine x

• Posted

Hi Linzi, I had my op on 7th May and staples out on 21st (14 days)  There were about 30 in all and it really wasn't bad at all when the nurse took them out.  I had a thick waterproof dressing on from the day of the op until the clips were removed and I was able to shower every day.  Three weeks on and I am walking about the house with no crutches and yesterday hubby drove me up to the common and I took the dogs for a little walk (with crutches just for safety) while he sat in the car smile.  I have been really pleased with my recovery - having had total knee replacements in both knees the hip replacement has been a doddle!  Good luck with your impending op and don't worry, you will be fine x
  • Posted

Hi Linzh I had steri strips no outside stitches or staples,  the nurses come after one week to check wound  and change the dressing (nothing to worry about) week 2 the nurse comes to remove the dressing and anything used to close the wound.

I had my new hip 5 weeks ago week 4 I was getting on the bus going into town no horrible pain.

Good luck with your op, best wishes Mags

• Posted

Continous sucture for mine with a bead top and bottom, 15 days for removal as my op was a Sunday, lovely clean scar, no problems and its fading by the day. What ever way your consultant is he/rs preference, it will be fine unless you are diabetic or other serious medical issues.

Take care and all the best for your op, Dot xx

• Posted

i had mine out after 10 days and that appears to be a good time so skin doesnt grow over.  It was totally painless to remove at that time even though i had 35 clips.

I wouldnt want to go any later than that on my next hip.

• Posted

The nurse removed the plaster covering the cut 18 days after my op...The stitches don't need to be removed, they are self absorbing (or whatever they call them!). I have now a few mini plasters, like strips but I can have a proper shower and they shoud drop off by their own accord. The nurse said it might take up to two weeks!

They don't bother me, but at the same time she recommended massaging the cut with cream or oil...how am I supposed to do it if the strips are still there???

Ella 

• Posted

my stitches not staples are still in had surgery the 20 th today is 31 st he said maybe 3 more weeks. I HAVE AROUND 35 stitches yuk

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.