stomach

Posted , 5 users are following.

Does having a esophagogastroduodenoscopy hurt?.And did u have it done in office or hospital?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Don't worry at all. Any good gastroenterologist will do a good job and you will feel nothing if Fentanyl, Propophal, or Versed is used. Twilight sleep. You'll wake up and say, "Did the endoscopy happen?" I've had 5 of them for hiatal hernia and gerd and no problem at all. No pain, no side effects other than being groggy from the twilight sleep. Fear not!
    • Posted

Thanks Lorraine. .i suppose 2 have it done in morning. .am having mine done in office i will be awake. .. Lorraine do u know what all they will be able 2 see when they do it
  • Posted

Cece, forgot to add that they are most likely looking for a hiatal hernia, reflux, erosions in your esophagus, Barret's disease, cancer, and things that are causing your symptoms. Hope that helps. They will take little biopsys of the tissues that look suspicious and you will know what's what in a week or so. If you have a hiatal hernia, your gastroenterologist will tell you that day after the procedure. You can get a copy of your films that they take with the scope. Good luck, and remember, ask for the anaesthesia!
  • Posted

Hi

I also have had 5 done because I have grd and hytius hernia I never took sedation when I lay down on my side it was about 2 mins and it was over as Lorraine says they are looking for any disease hernia or anything that is causing your symptoms honestly don't worry it's over before you know it with no ill affect let us know how you get on but you will ever fine

• Posted

Hi Kevin

I am having a scope in a few weeks but on the fence about sedation or not?

I am having it done at our local hospital and the GI says he doesn't care either way.

I was told it lasted 8-11 mins depending on how many biopsies are needed.

Have you had it done via sedation as well?

I have a chronic cough and worry if they do with no sedation I will cough more making me gag and harder for the GI to do his job ?

What do you think I am a little nervous of the procedure sad

Robin

• Posted

Hi Robin

Every body is always nervouse the first time but they will spray your throat with a local  anaesthetic if you are nervouse get the anesthetic as you wont feel any thnig but you will need someone to pick you up incase you are still sedated if driving etc its honestly a pain free procedure but every body is different it will last the very most 10 mins not even that

• Posted

Thanks Kevin for your support in the scope. I have had a chronic cough for the last year. This is what I am most worried if I don't get sedation, I will want to cough even if my throat is numb.

I am leaning towards the sedation and will probably laugh about all the fuss I put myself through. I am aware you need someone to bring you home . I live with lots of support and have someone coming with me as well.

You have mentioned you have had a few , why do they keep doing them ?

Isn't things visible first time they go in?

Robin

• Posted

Yes I just get ine every couple of years as I have very bad acid reflux and hytus hernia I work n the medical field so just to give me peace of mind

Yes sedation will be better for you before you know it you will be resting in the bed then after you eat something around an hour later yiuvwill be let home you will sometime getbthecredukts there and then but it's easy to get done and you enter age any ill affects

• Posted

This predicta texts that should have read you will probably get your results there and then and any biopsies will go awayvtobthevlab and yiuvwill getbthecredukts in around 10 days

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.