Stomach Ache going cold turkey on paroxetine

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anybody suffered stomach ache after withdrawal from paroxetine. I have been on for approx three years. I am finding the withdrawal horrendous. I was originally prescribed the medication to help with hot flushes during the menopause. Since withdrawal I have suffered increased perspiration, really poorly stomach and terrible depression. I am crying at the slightest thing and feel so poorly. I really feel like going back on them tonight as feeling thoroughly miserable.

Thank you for any help.

Jax x

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Oh Jackie I feel for you Hun. My sweats r awful, but getting slightly better after 6 weeks . My moods were awful but now ok. I cry a lot still but again this is getting better . As for tummy pain I did have 5 days last week but never put it down to withdrawal , perhaps it was. I hope you get through this without having to go back on them. I'm 6 weeks now and after 13 years feel pretty good!. I found the first 2 weeks off my drugs were easy , then week 3 and 5 the worse.

It will get better for you Hun

Julie xxx

• Posted

Well........it's always a bad idea to quit just cold turkey !  What you are going thru is normal withdrawal...but it can be severe and it may last for some time......really you should gradually taper off for a matter of several weeks.  If you were taking a dose of 20 mg/per day....then it seem logical to reduce to 10 or 15 mg/day for a week, then 10 mg for a week, then 5 mg/ for another week, then perhaps every other day on 5 mg ......then at some point you would finally be off maybe in 1 or 2 months.........I got off parox. in that manner when I was taking it.........this is just a suggestion since I am not a health care profession....but that was my experience. good luck

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I shall take what you said on board

Jackie

• Posted

Never ever quit paroxetine cold turkey after prolonged usage. This cannot end well. Yes, stomach ache is one of the withdrawal symptoms. Have you experienced brain zaps? If not - you will, soon. Sorry for sounding harsh, but paroxetine is probably the most difficult SSRI to witchdraw. Why did you quit cold turkey?

​The best thing to do right now would be to start taking it again and then taper off very slowly (at most 2.5 mg per week!).

• Posted

Thank you John

Yes indeed, why did I go cold turkey? I am wondering that myself. I hadn't realised ceasing the drug would cause me to be so ill. The problem why I was prescribed this drug hadn't improved at all so that's why I stupidly thought I will just stop taking them.

I shall put myself back on and do as you say and reduce slowly under my GP's instructions.

Thank you for being brutally honest it is much appreciated.

Jackie

• Posted

I too feel horrendous. So bad that i went to my GP this morning. Pointless excercise. I would be taken more seriously if i was coming off alcohol or street drugs but because Glaxosmithcline (who produce seroxat) refuse to accept it's addictive there is very little support. Ironic then that my GP doesn't want me to have prozac as a bridging drug incase 'you get addicted to that aswell' #//#@^??????!!!

• Posted

I feel for you Emma. I am beginning to feel slightly better but have completely lost my appetite and lost one and a half stone in weight I am now suffering with depression so bad I can understand why people resort to suicide. The thing is my Dr prescribed  paroxetine for hot flushes and not depression. It is a dreadful drug. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.