Stomach ache since reduced levothyroxine

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all 

Appreciate this maybe stupid thing to do but I took it upon my self to reduce my thyroxine by 25mg to 50mg (from 75mg)

It was an attempt to see whether change in my diet and more exercise could improve my thuroid function - never felt i needed an increase in dosage

After about a week on reduced dosage I had a stomach ache which I have not been able to shake off - looser stools and then over last few days felt tired. 

After the last couple of days I have gone back to taking 75mg and also have an appointment for a blood test 

Is stomach ache a sign of reduced dosage meaning, do I need the higher dose or is my body just adjusting? So much conflicting information online and gp not a good listener. 

Feel so depressed about my thyroid and would love to feel normal. 

Does anyone relate? 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I was on 25 mg thyroxin i started having acne on my face so i quit taking thyroxin 3 days ago and im facing the same problem as you.. stomach ache n looser stools..
    • Posted

Why would you want to deprive your cells of T3? Were your T3 levels okay before you went on T4 meds? Then why did you go on thyroid meds? Testosterone is usually what causes acne maybe the meds raised your testosterone levels indirectly. Having acne isn't a good excuse to stop thyroid meds. Maybe your body was detoxing and the acne a result. Maybe you're planning to go back on the meds or start a different thyroid med once acne clears. This is probably not your first bout with acne. But have labs done if you think you don't need to take thyroid meds. Feeling better or okay off meds doesn't mean everything is better healthwise and TFTs are optimal.

• Posted

Kris, its hard to know for sure what caused the runs.  Changes in meds can cause all sorts if problems. Are you exercising like crazy? That could cause problems. 

If you want to liwer your meds, exoect that it won't be easy. You might want to lower very slowly.

Consider proper nutrition, essential amino acids and vitamin and mineral supplements. Also look into gluten-free-paleo style diet.

You’ll have to keep a diary of foods, exercise snd medication changes if you want to troubleshoot your symptoms.

• Posted

Well I feel your pain. My thyroid has been acting up over the past year and a half.  Feb 2017 I had stomach issues and could not eat more than maybe a half cup of food at one sitting. I was sick for 4 months. They found my meds to be too strong.  The same thing started again this May and now they are not strong enough. So there is something about this symptom that is not reported normally. Something new popping up I guess. 
  • Posted

I quit taking Levothyroxine completely on May 14 this year.  No headaches.  No stomach aches.  Losing weight gradually.   Sleep better.   No loose stools.  A little more constipated than anything.  I have more energy.   Feel much better.   I was on 75mcg.   
    • Posted

A little more constipated could mean more toxins are building up inside of you. You may be poisoning your body with toxin buildup. And you must know that lot of hypothyroid people have genetic polymorphisms that makes it harder for the body to.detox.
  • Posted

Lowering your dose and increasing exercise is probably a great strain on your thyroid. You are lowering T3 FT3 and raising Reverse T3. Why would you want to do that when its hard enough to convert T4 to T3. Your cells are probably crying out for T3. Unless you think.your body can produce enough T3 on a reduced dose.
  • Posted

Hi all thanks for the messages 

I have absolutely no education on my thyroid for me it’s all Trial  and error 

Doctors just say take the pill and you will be fine so trying to find ways of counteracting it all 

I had no idea about exercise etc so thank you 

I have been keeping food diary and noticed that the more bread and apples I eat the worse I feel.  Maybe dropping and exercising more is definitely not the answer 

Will try again. 

Does anyone know of any groups etc that would be good to join - literally for the advice!!!! 

This does get me down 

• Posted

Hi Kris, you’ll want to do a strict gluten free diet. Absolutely no cheating, no cross contamination. 

Do some research on Paleo diets. You want good quality foods that won’t  trigger your immune system.

Also, the levo seemed to trigger chronic pancreatitis and lucer problems for me. I found natural white rice to be very helpful when my system flares up. If its really bad, I fast and just have a tablespoon of rice at each meal time. 

When I stopped taking the Levo, I started taking essential amino acids. They don't solve everything immediately, but they help a lot more than the meds and I don’t get side effects.

When I realized the chronic pancreatitis thing, and started with the white rice fasting, and returned to my liver cleansing, that made all the difference! 

• Posted

Hi 

so you take an alternative? 

did you base the dosage on how you felt?

is it too extreme for colon, liver and pancreatic cleanse once a month?

i have found that Aloe Vera drinking relieves some of the pressure in my stomach

• Posted

You must be aware that just having hypothyroidism even with no meds makes us more prone to pancreatitis. And that not having optimal cortisol levels too low or too high is usually the cause of most of the anxiety insomnia tremors etc when one starts on ANY thyroid med NDT T3 or the glandulars. Also iron levels have to be high normal not just in range for meds.to be absorbed and converted optimally. If one is undertreated than iron drops and undertreatment comes with many side effects not just hypo feelings. Lot of people can't handle NDT or glandulars too well too. You have thyroid disease but are you hypo too?

• Posted

Hi Kris, I sent you a private message with some resources. Check it out and let me know if you need anything else.

After the levo, I went back to the NDT, Naturethroid. It didnt wirk the same for me as it had previously, so I trIed WP. Had problems with that too. Tried an OTC bovine glandular for a year and it worked well enough until they changed the formulation, and I could tell there was some sort of wheat contamination. So I had to  quit that cold turkey.

I was JUST PLAIN FED UP!!! Id trued over ten different meds and uncountable doses abd nothing worked. My background is molecular biology, so I dud a littke tesearch and cane up with my own idea of how to solve my thyroid problem. I put together a pritocol and gave it a try. My gut feeling and scuence mind tomd me I was on the right track, but the part of me that's the really sick hypothyroid patient was afraid to hope. Fortunately for me, my education paid off and i put together an intense protocol of essential amino acids plus extra phenylalanine.

I made a pretty random choice on the dosage. I tried a little to make sure I could tolerate the essential amino acids. Then I increased them to where I felt was a good dose, which was three pills at each meal, plus one phenylalanine. I did this for a few months, all the while watching the kidneys.   I was pretty Ok, but really, i’m hypo, so going off the glandular cokd turkey  hit me a few weeks into it, though not as bad as I’d expected. Its been over a year now and I’m still trying to get things back on track.  I was on really high doses of kevo, so I keep breaking bones. Uhgh!

Anyway, tge aminos worked, but not  as well as I’d hoped, so I kept looking until I found another piece if the puzzle- the pancreatic connection. HEnce the rice fasting, sigestive enzymes and back to my liver cleanses.

I try to do the liver cleanse once a month. Depending on the length and type if cleanse, you can adjust the frequency. It really depends on how much your system can handle.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.