Stomach ache withdrawal from omeprazole

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi everyone

I have recently gone cold turkey on omeprazole

I am experiencing terrible stomach ache and acid reflux worse than what I had prior to commencing the medication.

Has anyone else experienced this.

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Jax x

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My Dr told me you must not stop taking the medication suddenly ,you need to reduce it gradually ,perhaps discuss with your Dr best way to stop taking Omeprazole 
    • Posted

What does your doctor say on longterm use of this medicine?
    • Posted

I have read lots of negative reports about long term use of PPI drugs but I have tried to wean myself of them but was in such discomfort decided the amount of acid that was eating away at my stomach and gullet was probably doing me more harm than the medication . As for Dr,s advice the one Dr at The practice said I had been taking it for too long and wanted me to come off it and another Dr at the same practise increased my dose because of the damage the acid wad doing ,I think both have a point , I do think avoiding certain foods help and alcohol is a definite no 
    • Posted

I was diagnosed by the gastro consultant that I had acid reflux. I have lost weight recently so thought it would be an ideal time to come off. Oh how wrong was I. Will have to step down to another med then come off that slowly.

Thank you for your help x

• Posted

Yes, hopefully a slow reduction will work for you. Have you managed to find out which foods and drink trigger your reflux?
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. Chocolate and spicy food cause my reflux. I am keeping well away from those food groups.

My stomach is feeling slightly better today and not had to take pain relief meds and I have also been out for a walk to help.

Thank you

Jackie x

• Posted

I have yet to find a way to be without something.  I still take rantinidine twice a day, and the other day I had to take a 20 mg dose of omeprazole because I occasionally get this feeling like burning in my gullet, and feeling like food is just sticking.  I am trying to cut back on sugar, carbs as best I can, hoping this might help, but I am really not sure I will ever be able to be free from this.
  • Posted

Yes and it's to be expected. The drug has been suppressing the amount of acid your stomach has been producing and now acid production is reverting to normal. If the problem for which you were taking the drug has not or cannot be resolved then the symptoms will return and may feel worse because your body has become used to the short term beneficial effects the drugs had. It's a difficult situation if, say, you are taking the drug for something that cannot (short of surgery) be resolved - a hiatus hernia, for example. What I would say is that it is possible to find dietary solutions to reduce acid reflux. It helps to lose weight so that excess weight around the middle isn't putting pressure on the stomach forcing acid back up into the gullet. Everyone will be different so far as food triggers but I found that chocolate and sugary foods (incuding alcohol) were the absolute worst and once I cut those out the acid reflux stopped and I could stop taking the drug.

• Edited

I did this and it took about 10 days for my stomach to settle down. Have not taken omeprazole for nearly 3 months.  Only minor acid reflux now. Ne blood in stool either.
  • Edited

I was on 30mg lanzoprezole for 12 weeks after having heartburn for 2 days , was constantly sick dizzy lethargic, jelly legs and extreme anxiety which I never had before, any way I quit them and it's been 7 weeks since I stopped, I'm still having awful withdrawal my stomach feels off every day like I have to feed it been on bland diet for 4 months and lost 3 stone, now I have developed reflux which I never had before , anyone else having these problems I'm beginning to thing I'll be like this permanently, plus my stools are yellow and loose!!

• Edited

hi gilly, how are you feeling now? im having the same symptoms xx

• Posted

I'm having the exact same issues, having to take time off work. I stopped taking 40mg 6 days ago. How long did it take you to feel better? Doctors seem to dismiss the idea of the symptoms i had when in the drugs and now what seems to be the withdrawal...

• Posted

its now February 2021 and I'm still crap, still have yellow loose stools and cramping under breast bone, bad hunger pains 3 hrs after eating , had endoscopies and blood tests all come back normal , im at the end of my tether with all this now , probably have something called functional dyspepsia because I also developed viceral hypersensitivity, I can literally feel everything going on inside my guts including my stomach emptying!!, in other words im miserable, ppis are poison they have ruined my life ,I cannot work I have to eat every few hours , lost 4 1/2 stone , I also get lpr symptoms and feeling something stuck in my throat occasionally ,sorry for the rant but im so fed up of it all, my advice is not to go cold turkey off the pills like I did, but I was so ill on them I was eager to get off them, you must wean off them or you could end up like me, I have a friend who quit them cold turkey and she is still having a lot of issues nearly a year later like me , its hard to get the medical treatment at the moment because of Covid which makes it harder

• Posted

Hi Gilly,

I was in somewhat of a similar situation almost 4 years ago. Had severe reflux, difficulty eating and even keeping food down. i didnt respond well to the PPI my GI doc it wasnt helping so he wanted to try doubljng the dose of prilosec. unfortunately it seemed to make my stomach pains worse, it iust felt like my food wasnt even being digested, so i had to stop it.. i was still desperate for relief so my PCP then put me on Zantac twice daily, and the H2 blocker really really helped. since the recall, i have switched to Pepcid and have been doing ok on it.. even though i did have a recent flare up and set back (due to my Dermatologist prescribing me Doxycycline for my acne, messed me up big time) and had to go on Panteprozole for 4 weeks. I am on my first day back on Pepcid, but since i dont want to rebound i am doubling my dose of Pepcid to 40 mg teice daily, then after a week im going to taper back to just 20 mg once daily and see how that goes now that my ulcer seems to have healed. it just takes time... and its really hard to be patient when youre in agony. it really does affect your quality of life when not under control, and i feel for you.

As for the LPR/coughing flare ups,I have that too. the acid starts to seep up into your sinuses. Since its cold and dry i sleep with a humidifier on a reg basis. i use warm wet rags to open up my pores, and do sinus irrigation on occasion. i am also a huge fan of nasal sprays. olive leaf nasal spray js my favorite and i swear by it. keep ur nasal passages clean and moist. Try sleeping elevated at an angle. Sometimes at night when im feeling rough and my stomach is cramping, ill take a really warm rag or hot water bottle and put it on my belly. calms things down. sometimes ill have herbal tea with manuka honey. manuka honey is good for healing ulcers. just gotta figure out ways to help you self sooth till you find out a way to get the symptoms under control. whatever works. see if H2 blocker helps you mean time, its over the counter and safer than PPI for long term use.

hope you feel better soon

-jenn

• Posted

hello, has anyone had breathing problems or backaches from omeprozole withdrawls? i stopped my meds (without researching if it was dangerous or not) about 3 weeks ago, at my doctors request, and my whole body has felt horrible ever since. i have since started back on it and am starting to feel better, but im still scared about my labored breathing ( i do feel better when lying down or drinking water) and back aches. Any input would help so much, thank you.

• Posted

hi, how are you feeling now? i'm six days off lansoprazole and its bloody awful! i started on it about 4 months ago because i felt sick for a while and they said gastritis, then my asthma flaired up like never before and dr said due to the gastritis too! ive had to come off cold turkey to have some tests - felt so sick for several days but also massive reflux which i never had before! now i have the same as you in terms of sporadic back aches and also discomfort under my ribs, which I didnt have before either. Bl00dy pills!! hope you are doing much much better!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.