Stomach ache withdrawal from omeprazole

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi everyone

I have recently gone cold turkey on omeprazole

I am experiencing terrible stomach ache and acid reflux worse than what I had prior to commencing the medication.

Has anyone else experienced this.

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Jax x

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I stopped omeprazole,nexium cold turkey after 3 months in january 2021. I exoprienced huge flares of gastrin/lpr and hcl at the same time wich destroyed my sinuses. Inbetween the flares when sinuses heal they used to drain a salty discharge wich I had to swallow thus making my condition worse,the reflux sustaining the sinuses and vicecersa. I suffered tremeandously and still tried to go to work meanwhile. I learned that the best thing was to have only boiled veg,cabbage,brussel sprouts,carrot,broccoli and leafy greens. you have to start in low quantity and train your stomach with food as you would be a newborn.Unfortunately the fake hunger got to me around the end of march and gave up and had a lot of food in one go and took a few tabs of omeprazole. It was a big mistake. since then I've been on and off every couple of weeks 😦 Last week I stopped after 1 week intake of omeprazole and I pray to God now a few days later that it won't kill me as the side effects seemed to get worse with each intake of med and diet cheat. so I am forced to go back in withrawal,wich is very very hard,especially the lpr and the fact that I can't even smell a flower a candle or go into a shop where cleaning products are sold,you instantly go insane because of the sensitivity the acid gives you. I am afraid of cancer but I really don't want to take omeprazole again. It took me a few months to train my stomach to get like one flare day until I collapsed because of the fake hunger. I don't know what to do anymore,at some point the fake fatigue destroys me and my mind. this med really messes with your hormone levels. my doc thinks I'm crazy and just the other day prescribed 4 times a day 20 mg omeprazole. I prefer to die instead,I mean it. I think I'm ready to die than take it. I know in a few days the acids will destroy me again,I don't want to lose my job...I lost around 17 kilograms there is no more weight to lose I'm skin and bones. The only thing that works is severe diet,I'm afraid of the lpr,it is such a dramatic change in my life. I took this med for 12 weeks,is there anybody who managed to let it go cold turkey?

• Posted

Hi, I've just started to wean myself off of Omeprazole 20mg, after being on it every day for approximately 22 years. For now, I'm taking it every other day with a Pepcid AC in between. I have been experiencing stomach pain once the Omeprazole wears off. (about 36-38 hrs after a dose). I really haven't had that heartburn feeling or rebound acid reflux yet & praying i don't. I will also share for whomever is interested, that Omeprazole has made me extremely anemic through the years. (shortness of breath, chest pains, extreme fatigue). I had to have a blood transfusion in the past due to the prolonged use. Since then, I've had to take iron supplements. Also, with being on Omeprazole for so long, I've gained a significant amount of weight. I feel its due to being able to overeat & feeling safe from acid reflux/heartburn because of the Omeprazole. I'm looking forward to a life of being off of it permanently. Good luck to all who are doing the same

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.