stomach aches while starting tapering off Metropolol? Or is this angina?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Please help.

Had heart attack (mild one) in march this year. They put me on Metropolol 25. My heart rate became very low (41) and I had severe side effects, like ongoing diarrhea.

3 days ago I started taking a half tablet (12,5 Metropolol). Now I have severe stomach aches and gas in my bowels. It feels like having hunger all the time.

I am afraid this could also be angina. So yesterday I took the normal dose. My stomach aches continue. My heart rate is normal (100 when walking), I feel somewhat anxious but no chestpain, armpain or other angina symptoms. Does this sound familiar??

Exuse my English. Not a native speaker.

Edit: I called my cardiologist. He doesn't believe its Angina Pectoris. My heart looked good after the attack. No damage, nice stent placed. He thinks this is because of the weaning of. I had severe diarrhea, and I looks like this turned into obstipation after starting to take half of the tablets. I got some medication for obstipation and it seems to work!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Edit: stopped yesterday with the metropolol. No stomach problems anymore. Heart rate and blood pressure are normal!

Very glad to be off this medication!

• Posted

Lower the dosage, i do not think lowering the dosage should cause more problems. It doesnt for me, but it does effect the body, depending on how long you took the dosage and how high you have gone before in dosage.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.