stomach acid

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello

I have not written anything here for some while now, but I do keep checking the site for any new tips. I think I am exceptionally lucky and that my achalasia has not advanced as much as most of you - at the moment. However, I limit my diet to certain foods that I know will not trouble me - non greasy, non spicy and no bread. Meat can be a problem - but on days when it won't go down - I just eat some vegatables instead!

I swallow gulps of air and water to force any food down and this is still working for me.

I eat early in the day to avoid food getting stuck in my oesophagus. If I have a bad day I rely on tea and water to fill me up.

I am worried though as again I have a 'funny' taste in my mouth constantly - this happened before I had dilation and then after - it stopped. I am wondering if it could be acid from the stomach. Is that a possibility - and if it is what can I do about it please. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sandra

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

If it was acid it would most likely hurt. When I start to feel an attack coming on - and I get them bad - it starts with toothache in all my teeth, but I've never tasted anything. You should talk to your doctor if you're worried. You can have a PH test to measure the acidity in the oesophagus.

If it's a bad taste, could it be that food isn't going down as easily and is instead food remaining in the oesophagus leaving you with the bad taste?

• Posted

Hi Sandraw

Those are interesting points that youve made for a number of reasons. I was wondering if I can ask you a few questions please, understanding that youve also mastered the technique of using water and air in gulps to force your food down (as I do, also Pokey).

When you eat, do you find that you reach a point (Im guessing about half way through your meal assuming normal sized portion) where you realise that the water has to come next and perhaps get up from the table. That said would I be right in saying that the motion of air and water takes about 4-5 seconds to complete at which point after , you get a percentage of the water rising back which you then have to disguard ? Also, when youve been going through this have you ever felt light headed or in a state where you may believe you could fall over or pass out , or suffered any other peculiarity or loss of control (assuming you are standing) ? I ask for very good reasons knowing my own individual experiences. I respect the fact that you may wish not to say of course.

Regarding the fluid with the bad taste, I get that too but I dont think its acid reflux, what I believe it is , is the residue of the water youve used mixing with other stomach matter which is undigested and trying to find an escape route. This brings me on to my last question. Between meals do you find that you develop a gradual build up of watery fluids which rise back up to your mouth and which create a problem so that you have to find a way of getting rid of them (no toilets around etc etc,.) ? I find this one, one of the worst aspects of the condition.

regards

MJDee

• Posted

Thank you for answering. In a way I am glad it is not only me.

Anyway I will do my best to answer - I also get to a point when I realise that I need water to force the food down. I take a few glps of air and hope for the best.

If that goes to plan then I try to 'burp' as that definately means some of the food has gone down - you can feel that it does. I drink cold water until I can feel it run cold into my stomach. Then wait a bit.

I don't know about the taste - but you are right it may be food left in the oesophagus. I don't know. If it was acid - it would burn - I hadn't really thought of that.

Sorry if I haven't answered all your questions - but I will go back and see.

Thank you for answering.

Sandra

• Posted

Hi Sandra

As you say, forcing your food down this way is a \"hope and see\" situation that I would very much agree with, but what is interesting is that your experience of getting the food down , mine and Pokeys are all very much dealt with in a similar way.

As a child, bearing in mind that Im now in my fifties, and have had this condition for well over 40 years, I used to suffer excruciating indigestion but apart from that Ive never really had many side effects till the last few years.

I have noticed that occasionally when going through the air and water thing I have gone occasionally light headed. I wondered if youd ever experienced this ?

regards

MJDee

• Posted

I have not ever felt lightheaded when trying to force the food down, but, I do often feel sort of 'ill' and then I will always stop eating for a while until it passes. I don't really mean that I am in pain but it's always the same sort of feeling - I know it will pass - but I can't do anything to help it go. Do any of you get a bloated stomach? I find with swallowing so much air - that this is the result. If anyone else finds this - have they any remedies?

Thanks

Sandra

• Posted

Hi guys

Sorry for my delayed reply, been very busy lately.

MJDee:

You are correct in your assumption in that while eating, I will reach a very obvious limit when swallowing assisted by heavily carbonated water (or other carbonated drink) is required. If I don't get my water straight away, a number of things happen. Firstly and most obviously, the food may come back out. This doesn't really ever happen as my oesophagus is completely paralysed and can't force food back out. Alternatively my body will react with short bursts of extremely violent and very LOUD hiccups which seem to move just enough food through to relieve the pressure and gives me more time to get my water. A bit convenient but I couldn't do it in public, it'd scare the hell out of people. Thirdly, and most worse, sometimes a little will move down somehow and I think creates a vacuum which I feel just above and in my stomach. It's extremely uncomfortable and feels like a very bad stomach. It makes me feel sick when I use my water. Usually though, everything is fine.

And yes, I have felt light-headed after swallowing, similar to standing up too quickly, especially if it takes a bit of effort to swallow. Not enough that I thought I might pass out though. The worst thing about it is the strange way it makes me feel mentally and emotionally while I carry out the whole procedure of swallowing. Sometimes before I use the water to swallow, I get a sense of panic that maybe this occasion it won't work. It always works, but sometimes I can't see quite how it will. While I am swallowing, I have to be completely alone, out of sight of anyone else, preferably shut in a room knowing that there is no risk of being disturbed by anyone else. If I'm out and about I have to be outside and as far away from people as possible. The few times I eat out, it has to be somewhere with a car park and I find the most solitary corner of that car park to hide my car with plentiful supplies of water waiting inside.

Afterwards, the effect is such that you would think I had a cold. It's not nice to describe, but for about ten minutes following a meal I'll have a lot of rubbish come up onto my chest and to the back of my throat. Sometimes my sinuses get blocked. Cue lots of phlegmy coughing and sniffing. It clears after ten minutes though, but for that ten minutes I can't really hold a conversation very well - that's OK because I'm naturally anti-social anyway.

In my case of course, if the water is too cold, I get brain freeze. If the water is too warm, it looses too much gas and isn't as effective. In Summer I keep them in an electric cool box on lowest setting. The fridge is too cold.

As sandraw says, the obligatory (long and again very LOUD) burp tells me the food has fully gone down. That burp is one of the most enjoyable feelings there is. My record is 18 seconds. I have mastered the art of the silent burp too, for those occasions when it would be inappropriate.

I've never had the bad taste. I've also never had the remains of the water I've used. I make sure not to drink anymore than is needed to swallow my food. When I burp I know there's nothing left to go down, neither food nor water.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.