Stomach acid problem cause or consequence of stress/anxiety

Posted , 2 users are following.

Dear all,

First, thank you for taking the time to read this.

I'm 34, happy and mostly fit and healthy apart from 4 months ago I started to notice 'twinges' in my upper, left abdomen radiating towards my left armpit and sometimes felt concurrently in my left arm. I would not say it was a pain, but a sensation - a twinge, and no other symptoms at all. I ignored this for 2 months, until i became increasingly anxious and saw a doctor, who prescribed a proton pump inhibitor. The twinges immediately went away, but i was left with a niggling, gnawing, mild burning sensation where my stomach is - this went on for another month. I later stopped taking the proton pump inhibitors and now the niggling/gnawing has alleviated but the 'twinges' are back, worse than before.

As i have said, i have no other symptoms. I eat well, have not lost weight and can easily run/gym, etc. However something just doesn't feel right.

I would very much like to get to the bottom of what may be causing this. I feel guilty when i see the doctor because they are always so rushed and busy, and outwardly i appear perfectly healthy, but i am so tired of worrying about this. I accept that the anxiety is likely a factor but it is entirely unclear whether it is the cause or consequence of the sensations i have been having. I believe probably a consequence of feeling worrying sensations for so long and dwelling on them.

I have had a blood test and upper abdominal ultrasound, and all was normal. I'm waiting for an endoscopy, but everything takes so long i'll be waiting for months because i'm not a priority case.

Could anyone offer advice/similar experiences? Thank you.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

With endoscopy or breath test you should test for hpylori. In my case, I was all healthy except the symptoms of bloating and various other annoying abdomen problems that used to exist 10 hours a day. And such sessions had become very frequent, no matter what I ate or how much i used to exercise and tried to change my diet.

My doctor too first prescribed me proton pump inhibitor, for a month. Till the time I took it there was a good amount of relief. But as soon as I stopped, after 4 days symptoms came back. After that I was prescribed with hpylori medication.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.