Stomach acid test

Posted , 6 users are following.

WWII in several days time I will move a bit further along the path of finding out what is wrong with me when I go up to Guys hospital to get fitted with an acid monitor. As many of you may know I will have to have a tube inserted into my stomach via my nose and it will monitor for 24 hours. This is going to mean me travelling a round trip of 160 miles each day for two days but if it helpse resolve the problem then I can put up with that.

I am really not looking forward to having the tube inserted and then having to walk around public ally for other's to see. As anyone had this done and was it worth all the effort. Because I am having this fitted I have stopped taking my Lansoprozole and I think because I have been using ground ginger and tumeric its helped my symptoms and I am not feeling too bad. The advice to use both of these come from our colleague's so it just shows you how good this forum is. I will let you all know how I get on after the test.Does any one know how long it takes to get the results from the test. Regards to all.

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hi I had this done a while ago and it is not

As bad as it sounds

It was a little difficult sleeping with it in.

I got the results with in a few weeks of

Having it removed.

it did feel a little bit strange eating and

Drinking with it in.

It was very useful for me as it was a

Test I needed to be able to see if

The linx procedure would be suitable for

Me.

I had the linx procedure fitted last Tuesday

And I'm now recovering

No acid reflux

Hope things go well

• Posted

Thank you that's very reassuring and I hope you continue to improve.
  • Posted

Hi ted not had this done ...but would like to know how you take your ground ginger and tumeric? Have not tried this method ! 

Good luck with your test lets know how it was .

regards  Trev

• Posted

Hi trev thanks for your kind words. I sprinkle both of them on my breakfast cereal. It may be a psychosomatic but its the only thing that seems to have eased my symptoms. Regards Ted
    • Posted

Thanks I'll try it out some things that work well for me pinenut oil capsules and milk thistle extract 

I use soya milk on cereal instead of milk  also drink it if acid starts it seems to sort it out 

I have managed to be med free for 5 months now ran out of pinenut oil and acid returned within 2 days  think it's a combination of these that work for me  

now adding your tip hopefully  will help keep me off ppi s

thanks Ted

• Posted

Wish you all the best in this procedure,Hope you tell us all the results.
    • Posted

Thank you. I will definitely let you know as I know many of us support each other on here. Ted
    • Posted

Hi as promised I will give you an update. Went to hospital today and had acid monitor. I don't wish to scare any one but it was not a pleasant experience. The only way I got through it was by telling myself that it had to be done. Unbelievably as I have suspected for years and undergoing various tests the man who fitted the monitor after advising me that was just his opinion and the consultant at a later stage would need to confirm it but he said that I had an hernia. I for now will wear the monitor and tomorrow return to the hospital to have it removed. Once I have further news I will let you all know the result. But if you too are facing having a monitor fitted then remember that you will get through the procedure and you obviously need to have it done.
    • Posted

Hi I'm glad it went well today

I know its not a very pleasant

Experience I had a lot of sneezing

Fits when mine was fitted.

Its much easier when it is removed.

Hope all goes well 😊

• Posted

Thank you that's very kind. I must say that I will be glad when it is removed. I soon stopped feeling sorry for myself when I saw a poster in Guys depicting a gorgeous young disabled child.
    • Posted

I had the mobility test which was similar with the NG tube. Luckily that only last 15-20 mins. But I so know what you mean about not being pleasant! Good luck. I hope the results give you some answers. Yes it is a good thing to keep things in perspective. A good friend has been battling breast cancer treatments so I keep saying to myself if she can do this, I certainly can withstand a simple test!
    • Posted

Thank you and your right its nothing to the battle your good friend faces. please pass my best wishes onto her.
    • Posted

Thanks for the info  we appreciate it.

Hope you feel well real soonwink

• Posted

I agree that does sound awful. I had this test but what they did was to sew in an electrode into my esophagus while performing the endoscopy (using disolveable stitches.) I then wore a monitor that picked up the signal (wireless) for 5 days before turing it back in. About day 10 I could definately tell the electrode had passed. Good luck. See if you can get the wireless monitor!

• Posted

JFWski that's interesting. I will try and get that but I am guessing you are not in the UK and are in the States where treatment seems so more advanced. Thank you for your kind words Ted.
    • Posted

Yes Ted I'm in the US. The test paper called it Bravo. Not sure if that is a brand of monitor or the type.
    • Posted

Thank you I thought that. It just shows how far behind we are in the UK.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.