Stomach and acid reflux worry!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just before Christmas, on a Sunday evening and randomly, I started to have stomach pains (like food poisoning). These continued the next day, I was also shivering and took the day off work. I wasn’t sick, my stools were fine and the next day the pain went down. However, since then the following symptoms have continued: acid reflux (I was diagnosed with this 4 years ago and have dealt with it on and off since then), sharp pains under both ribs, consistent pain/pressure under both ribs at different times, wind (burping and flatulence), stomach discomfort, some upper and lower back pain (mainly left sided) and burning heartburn – all these, on and off for about a month now. I am 30 years old, male, 5 foot 9 and 14 stone 7 pounds. I suffer with health anxiety. My stools and urine have been fine, my levels of energy are normal. I started taking 20mg Omeprazole when this started, now on 40mg Omeprazole (since last Tuesday). Seen one GP, she wasn’t worried, felt tummy and said nothing I said made her think of cancer but I am worried about pancreatic cancer. Can you give me any words or advice? Hopefully to say I 100% don’t have this!

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Have you tried simethicone anti-gas tablets for trapped gas?

• Posted

No I haven't and I've never heard of it - any links? Thanks for the reply!

• Posted

Ask for it in the drug store. No prescription needed.

• Posted

Sounds more like gastritis. Ask for an endoscopy to confirm this and they may also test for h pylori. The reason why you should not worry is because your doctor is not worried and said nothing you said made her think of cancer. Keep thinking about your doctor telling you this to give you reassurance. Your doctor would not have said this if she had serious concerns about your symptoms. Worry can also worsen gut symptoms, so try to stay as calm as possible.

However, no one here can tell you 100% that you defiinitely have or don't have a particular condition because we cannot diagnose you on this site. Only your doctor can do this. Your doctor has already told you that she is not thinking about cancer. This is what you should concentrate on.

• Posted

Thank you for the reply Pippa, very appreciated!

• Posted

i was diagnosed with GERD and gastritis back in september and your symptoms sound familiar to mine. ask for an endoscopy as having a diagnosis will definitely help settle some of the anxiety down a bit.

• Posted

Thanks heather!

What is the procedure like for an endoscopy? Is it comfortable or painful? Were you asleep or awake? Thanks in advance!

• Posted

Make sure you ask for a throat spray instead of sedation because sedation can cause very unpleasant side effects.

• Posted

mine was actually smooth and great. i received a local anesthetic and was asleep through the whole thing. i dont even remember it 😃

• Posted

If you had been given a local anaesthetic, you would have been awake throughout the procedure and you would have remembered everything. You must have been given sedation if you were asleep during the endoscopy. A local anaesthetic would have numbed your throat only.

• Posted

my drs called it local so thats what im calling it thats what i was billed for also

• Posted

A bit odd for your doctor to call it that because there is a difference between local anesthesia and sedation Some sedation knocks you out completely where as other types only make you feel drowsy but still awake. This can cause confusion. Unless, your were told it was local when they knew it wasn't so as not to worry you because a lot of people get frightened about sedation. Doctors can sometimes hide information from us. My GI did not tell me what sedation drugs he was giving me and neglected to tell me about the side effects of severe depression which I only discovered several hours after the procedure. Had the depression showed up in the hospital, they could have dealt with it. Unfortunately, it appeared at home when nothing could be done about it.

I do wish doctors could be clearer and upfront and not keep changing the names of things!

• Posted

Thanks for the info all!

So we're still confident this isn't cancer at all? Just keep getting slight stitch feeling in my left side and slight shooting pain every now and then. I'm not in agony and it isn't stopping me doing anything! I'm able to get around and do everything, just feel very low right now and worried! Any thoughts and words of comfort help 😃

Oh and I paid for some in the post private blood tests. Got my blood results back, I'll attach pictures - thoughts welcome on that.

• Posted

Had stomach pain last night and it was really bothering me. Was slightly worse than normal and mainly left side. Woke up this morning and quickly for about 10-15 seconds it was very painful and sharp, really hurt! Has gone now and just can feel pressure on left side. Worried! Any words of advice or support?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.