Stomach and Digestive Problems with Amlodipine

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was prescribed 5mg of Amlodipine by my doctor for hypertension just over four weeks ago (on 10th December 2018). Just ten days later, in order reduce my blood pressure further and quicker, the doctor prescribed a further 5mg to bring my daily dose to 10mg in total.

Nine days later after a light late afternoon meal (30th December) I suffered a severe bout of nausea, stomach discomfort and flatulence. The stomach discomfort was mild - approximately around the area of my navel - but the flatulence moved down from my upper bowels right down to my lower ones over a period of several hours. This problem continued day after day and I completely lost my appetite - indeed any meal often made me feel nauseous and thoroughly bloated and uncomfortable. I started to lose weight because I was eating little .. surviving a lot on bananas, rice, applesauce, toast and porridge - the usual foods for sensitive stomachs.

This was very unusual because I very, very rarely got any digestive problems at all through my 70 years beforehand. It always happened a few hours after my main meal in the middle of the day. Sometimes, during the day, I can walk this off, but sometimes I am left awake and suffering it night.

Having read other posts on this forum and further information on Amlodipine, I deduced that the drug upset other people the same and was likely the source of the problem. So decided to stop (with the agreement of my doctor) who said that I was probably one of the unlucky 18% of patients who have serious and unacceptable side effects.

I stopped the drug on 2nd January 2019, only 23 days after starting it, but even though I wasn't on it very long it seems to be taking an age to get out of my system and I am still suffering daily, although I find it will ease after a few hours having taken a rehydration drink.

I understand the half-decay rate in the body of this drug is 30-50 hours, so assuming one is fit and healthy, and it should take around no more than 12 days (approx 12 x 50) to clear. But I am still waiting with little improvement. More than 2 weeks later, I still suffer. I have read that some people have found it much long to get rid of, perhaps 2-3 weeks.

Have others had the same experiences, please, and how long did it take them to eject this ‘poison’ from their body and feel and eat well again ?

Thanks

Ian

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ian, just me thinking outside the box, but i think Amlodipine can cause an increase in Histamine , myself was diagnosed with Crohn's ,and told by consultant on Crohns , that am increase histamine in the bowel . did you have any sinus problems. headaches , as well maybe not because not on Am longer enough .google histamine see what you come up with . good luck

• Posted

Thanks for your recommendation. Neither sinus or headaches have been a problem throughout my life, so an increase in Histamine is unlikely to be the cause. These problems only started recently and the significant event in this time has been the prescription if Amlodipine, so I am pretty sure that is the source.

• Posted

Definitely you will need to give it a bit longer for the drug to leave your body but on top of that your digestive system will need to heal itself and get back to working normally again. Have patience while your body works to do this for you.

I wish you a speedy recovery. By the way, you have a good doctor. A lot of them deny any side-effects of this drug. At least they accepted it and told you to stop.

• Posted

Thank you Kathy. You have a good point that, when the drug has finally left my body, the digestive system will take time to recover. Thankfully I am starting to notice signs of improvement - it's slow - but I am hoping this is the light at the end of the tunnel.

• Posted

Hi Ian,

I think you have done the correct thing by getting off this drug. I do not have heart problems, but I do believe in some instances there are better treatments. I suggest you watch a video on You Tube called " Food As Medicine Preventing & Treating." a genuine Dr. I would also look up natural treatments for heart, ask your Dr. about Q10, Magnesium both are very good for heart health. I like to think that my body is like a house, if you get a leak, electric shock, dry rot, cracks you would not waste your time and money patching up, you would ask what is causing this problem? I myself want a real cure not a band - aid that leads to more health problems.

Bill

• Posted

Thanks Bill,

That's a good idea. I am not in favour of immediately reaching for the medicine cabinet when I am unwell and always try to deal with things naturally. I am fit, very active and look after myself, so this would be a good way to move forward.

Ian

• Posted

i was also prescribed this medication on November 30 th i was back at the doctor's office less than a week later as both my feet were severely swollen.

My blood pressure is well controlled and the headaches are gone. I concluded that the headaches were caused by the high blood pressure.

To address the swollen feet concern i reduced the medication by half. My feet are fine now.

I have heard about a lot if people having negative side effects from this drug. You did the right thing by getting off if this. High blood pressure is very dangerous and silent. I hope that you find something else to control your bp all the best

• Posted

Interesting to see so many people having serious problems with this drug yet others deal with it fine. It's just the way we are made, I guess.

• Edited

I stopped amlodipine over two weeks ago due to stomach pain and feeling of being bloated. My pain was mainly in the lower right quadrant of my belly. I still feel bloated after my evening meal and suspect that it will take some time before the symptoms leave. Also, this has a tendency to cause some anxiety and one wonders if there is something else. i have not told my Dr. yet but have been monitoring my bp and it is in the High 120's/ 60-70

• Edited

I stopped taking amlodipine about 2 weeks ago due to stomach pain in the lower right quadrant of my belly. Also i did get a feeling of being bloated after my evening meal . My symptoms have not totally disappeared and i assume it will take some time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.