Stomach and left upper abdominal pain plus nausea for 3 months

Posted , 3 users are following.

My husband has been suffering pain in his LUQ and stomach for over three months. The pain seems to get worse after eating and he usually gets nauseous after eating as well. He sometimes has pain after fasting as well. The pain and nausea seem to be particularly bad in the morning after breakfast. We were healthy eaters before, but have tried various diet changes to see if anything helps. Nothing has. He has ad an endoscopy, HIDA scan, RUQ abdominal ultra sound, CT with chest, CT of abdomen/small bowel. They have all come back clear. He is not a heavy drinker(and has not drank in over 3 months) or overweight. and until recently, exercised 5 times a week (we just ran a marathon in October). He is in so much pain and discomfort that he is unable to lead his normal life. He has some level of pain at all times throughout the day. He does not have diarrhea or change in stool. He has seen two GPs, a GI. He has been prescribed zofran which does not help. Before 12/30/17 he had no episodes of stomach pain or anything similar to how he feels now-it all came on suddenly and has stuck. We would greatly appreciate any advice.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had lots of pain in my stomach a few years ago and a bit of acid reflux in my throat.  My doctor had a barium test done to see if there was gerd and I think it was also to test if my sphincters were shutting properly.  The doctor who did the test tipped me partway upside down to see if there was leakage between the stomach and the esophagus and there was not.  I also had a test done by an ear, nose and throat dr.  He also thought it was gerd but said there were no signs of it.  So I didn't take the GERD meds.  They are meant to be short term and can mask other problems if you're on them too long (> 30 days).  I went to an alternative doctor and he suggested doing a 14 day good quality liver cleanse.  About a week into the cleanse, all of the pain was gone.  If you have a good alternative practitioner, it may be worthwhile to try something like that. 

• Posted

Thanks for the advice-we have been thinking about looking into alternative medicine. Glad to hear it has worked for you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.