Stomach and throats issue

Posted , 5 users are following.

For the past few years I've had an issue where after I eat i get a tightness in my throat and start producing a lot of spit. I feel like I need to burp but can't and when I try to fluid wants to come up. After I lay down and keep producing the spit I eventually end up throwing up. I've tried every possible acid medicine such as Prilosec nexium Tums pepto bismal. After a day or 2 it usually goes away. I've been to the doc and had a scope down my throat and they said everything seems fine. Any help or cures I can try would be great . Thanks

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

The medication only addresses the acidity, not the reflux which you are experiencing. You need to manage this with lifestyel modifications:

Lose weight if necessary.

Concentrate on how you are eating:

Eat small protions - 5 half sized meals a day is better than 3 big ones. Do not over-fill your stomach.

Remain upright while eating and eat slowly: small mouthfuls chewed well.

After food, avoid exercise that will compress, tilt or shake your stomach. But walking is good as it helps the stomach empty.

Leave at least 3 hours between your last meal and going to bed.

• Posted

I just read the other day that the size of our stomach is about the size of our fist. That makes smaller portions so important in the lifestyle modification. I've started eating smaller meals more frequently. I feel like I'm thinking about and eating all day long.

• Posted

I'm the same sicne I got acid reflux. The first time I got it I threw up and think I've developed a fear of throwing up from this which I've never had before. I have health anxiety and OCD and reflux is so random I can't always get a hold of it. Fatty foods and big meals make me ten times worse at the moment as does stress, but since this started I have been stressed to the point of panic attacks. My symptoms are similar to the original poster - I get these weird burps that make me feel lik eI'm going to gag. I've not thrown up or had the heart palpitation much since the first time but it was so distressing adn I'm totally focused on food now, and scared a lot of the time. Trying to work on CBT techniques (I had to get into therapy for this because my symptoms were so severe - developed after I took antibiotics and had oral thrush).

-That if I have a panic attack I just acknowledge it and don't look for a reason (i have OCD health anxiety though so I look for a reason for these things and it's been challenging to say the least).

- That I have a fear of being sick which is why I fear/overthink food now.

- That I'm panicking because I imagine I'll never get my old life back.

It doesn't help that symptoms come on at random and the oesophageal spasms feel like choking. If anyone has any tips on how to deal I would appreciate them!

• Posted

Mh1986, I totally feel you, u have even experiencing the same thing like you. I've liked one time ever since I ate a hot dog with mustard when u have acid reflux. Ever since then man I been so scared to eat anything with critic acid, I been overthinking food since. But the one thing that keeps me going is acing hope that I'll get better and try to excerise too and eat plenty of veggies. Almost to mention to eat lots of fruits like bananas, watermelons and soft pears. Try not to stress about this problem, think positive and have a clear sense of mind that you'll get better.,

• Posted

Sorry about some of my grammar mistakes.
  • Posted

HI garyb302, my name is stephon. I understand your problem you currently facing, my dad had something similar to what your facing. My dad had something know as "Acid Reflux," he'd get a choking kinda sensation in his throat when he went to sleep. Usally when he's get up in the night, he's go to our sink and split up yellow.. Have you split up and anything yellow or green I the past couple weeks? Back to what I wa saying, if you went and did the scoping test and it came back on then I don't what it can be..try to diet well and eat a good meal as well as a good lunch, don't eat heavy food at night before you sleep and try to excerise and eat lots of proteins.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.